Draining oil without removing filler cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how sealed a crank case is, but if the oil is hot, I've seen increased flow rates by removing the cap. Pretty sure the PCV on most crank cases is there to release positive pressure from blow by and often has a ball inside to seal against vacuum. It might make a few seconds difference to the total drain time, but not a lot.

Originally Posted by kebabaluba
Dont worry about oil filler cap but i do hope you did warm up the engine before oil change...

I change mine after letting it sit all night. No problems. I do let it drain for a long time though.

Originally Posted by Traction
In my 50 years of changing my own oil, I have never took the oil cap off to drain oil. The crankcase is vented. More important is to remember to do everything else right, and not to forget to put the cap back on. I did that once, so far.

This

I pop the hood, clean around a bit, take fill cap off and remove dipstick and cover holes with paper towel or so, drain....clean around engine bay more while draining.

Originally Posted by OceanRuns
Just did an oil change. Forgot to unscrew the filler cap while draining. Did remove the filter.
Older car, first change, no idea of the amount it should take. Let it drain for about 10-15 minutes. Still had a drip going when I sealed it back up, but also didn't warm it up a lot.
Does not removing the filler cap 'hold' (vacuum) oil in?
Think 10-15 minutes got enough that no real difference exists?

It will be glug-glug-glug but will drain. Like how you pour oil out of the bottle.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

It will be glug-glug-glug but will drain. Like how you pour oil out of the bottle.

Turn the jug sideways. Like a pancake.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I still say ya gotta take if off sooner or later.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This makes too much sense ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same with the dipstick. That comes off too and wiped clean, before crawling under the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back