Drained my M1 5W-40 -- ACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen oil look so gross. Like dark Dutch processed cocoa with a bit foam. It looked almost as nasty as my rear differential fluid. I'm a bit surprised, because my engine looks, at least around the cams, pretty much spotless. I guess the M1 did some cleaning. The 5W-40 had 8k miles on it. A sample is going in for analysis.

Probably from cleaning as you said. If the M1 SUV is the same as D1, it's most likely the case. Is this from the Audi?
cheers.gif

I changed my Cherokee's oil last week and the Chevron HM 10W30 came out looking pretty nasty too, after only 3k miles, though it looked clean on the dipstick. I guess it was doing some cleaning. I hope so.

The 5W-40 looked clean on the dipstick when the oil was hot, but dark when it was cold. Maybe the oil film is just really thin when the oil is hot.

Since you did not mention a specific replacment oil, I assume it's M1 5w-40 again. Two runs of this oil might be a good idea if you consider the theory of it takes two cleanings to accomplish the job. I have a case here for sometime this summer.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Yes, it's from the A4. Who knows what dark evil lurks in the oilpan?
wink.gif

If your worried about the leftover crude, do a very short flush OCI with some $1.50/qt Delvac 1300S.

If you're real paranoid about the traces of used oil left behind, buy a new car like ekpolk did.
grin.gif

Audi Junkie, yes, I filled it again with M1 5W-40.

427Z06, are you saying my oil got cooties?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

By the way, I used an M1 301 filter this time. I forgot to order a Mann/Mahle in time, and at $10, the M1 is still $5 less than an OEM filter at the dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Yes, it's from the A4. Who knows what dark evil lurks in the oilpan?
wink.gif

If your worried about the leftover crude, do a very short flush OCI with some $1.50/qt Delvac 1300S.

If you're real paranoid about the traces of used oil left behind, buy a new car like ekpolk did.
grin.gif

Unfortunately, the OCI=NCI strategy only works once -- unless of course in your mind, OCI=NCI=NSI*.

OCI = Oil Change Interval (duh)
NCI = New Car Interval
NSI = New Spouse Interval

Trust me, this strategy is a dud from a "repeatability" perspective.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I run a Mobil 1 T&S blend in both cars as well as the truck, and it always comes out nice and black. It's expected in the diesel in the truck, and since I started using a synthetic blend much later in both cars, and Mobil 1 T&S even later, I expect that it's just doing it's job in gentle cleaning. In part that's why I use it.

Hi,
the dark colour on draining Delvac 1 5w-40 from most petrol engines is quite normal, it only shows it is doing the job well

427Z06's suggestion of a short flush regime using a mineral HDEO is a good one too. It is done often with some diesels

My Subaru is dark on the dipstick very quickly (been on Del 1 for about 50k miles)
The BMW Z3 2.8 is exactly the same
The Porsche's Del 1 stays cleaner looking for much longer but at 12k miles on draining it is black too thank goodness

In diesels of course this oil is black within minutes of startup after an oil change. A blotter test then is interesting because it shows a great result as it should and belies the colour

When I first started using this oil in my trucks many years ago a Senior Driver (been with me then for 5 years) threatened to resign as "the oil was too thin"!
He stayed and the truck was sold off recently with over 1m trouble free kms on the speedo!

Regards
Doug

glxpassat
quote:

Sounds like you may have a coolant leak or alot of condensation. What oil did you use prior to the M1?

glxpassat, aren't you a ray of sunshine? The foam went way immedialtely after the oil stopped draining into the pan. I'd say the foam was caused by, uh... aeration. Condensation in the mild California climate? I'd probably see the same type mayo on the filler cap my fellow Audi owners report.
wink.gif
Previous fill was M1 0W-40.

----------

Doug, I can't wait to get my UOA results. A year ago, when I decided to use this oil, it was mostly your enthusiasm regarding D1 that made me use T&SUV. Subjectively, I like this oil a lot. Soon I'll know more.

My D1 stayed translucent over 10k and 12.5k (amsoil bypas for the 12.5k). It just got a deep strawberry honey tint to it.

I think this is the best oil out there for extended drains in any engine. The stuff appears bullet proof based on everything that I've thrown at it. It's expensive ..but seems to deliver the goods with no excuses.

quote:

It's expensive ..but seems to deliver the goods with no excuses.

What isn't expensive these days? The price of just under $5 (plus tax) a quart is in line with the other synthetics and even some of the overpriced, hydrocracked posers. Compared to the price of D1, T&SUV is certainly a bargain.

That's the problem with extended OCIs. When I first bought D1 ..T&SUV wasn't available yet. I was on my second order of D1 (at about $6/quart) when we found out that it was identical/close enough to T&SUV. That spans a year and a half over 3 vehicle. Now I'm on a Rotella synth kick. By the time I get back to T&SUV ...it will probably be discontinued or up in price.
frown.gif

quote:

glxpassat, aren't you a ray of sunshine?

grin.gif

Seriously though, chocolate color sounds a little odd. I think M1 T&SUV is the best value in syn oils right now at $4.77 a quart at Wal Mart. I wish they would test it for VW specs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back