Drain Plug Oil Temperature Sender

Curious about the strength and reliability of engine oil temperature senders for example a one piece sender like VDO.

Can the hollowed out drain plug have any potential risk as far as leaking or strength and the ability to handle the proper torque for years to come.

I am more concerned with the weakness (hollowed out) vs the solid OEM part but any other potential risks like the center piece transducer breaking and falling in the pan or leaking?

As long as you're not putting it on gorilla tight I'm not sure I would worry about it too much.

If you're that concerned with it you could always drill and tap the pan and permanently install it provided there's enough metal there to tap (Cast aluminum pan)

Curious about the strength and reliability of engine oil temperature senders for example a one piece sender like VDO.

Can the hollowed out drain plug have any potential risk as far as leaking or strength and the ability to handle the proper torque for years to come.

I am more concerned with the weakness (hollowed out) vs the solid OEM part but any other potential risks like the center piece transducer breaking and falling in the pan or leaking?

Those Fumoto valves are hollow and made of brass and seem to hold up okay. I wouldn't get crazy tightening it though.

Had one for years on a Volvo (stamped steel pan, brass VDO sensor/plug, genuine Volvo accessory). Worked great.

But I never let anyone else change oil on that car.

Back