Drain plug advice

I am going to drop the trans pan and change the fluid in my 2010 Wrangler Sport. When I have it off I would like to add a drain plug for future maintenance, does anyone have a recommendation on a reliable one to install and is ther a specific area of the pan thats best suited ?

Can you buy a new pan with a drain plug already installed?

Just a metal roof washer head self drilling screw in #10-32 located where it does not bother anything is perfect. if you strip it they make them in #12 and #14 sizes

Did you check the Jeep forum to see if anybody has done what you want to do?
There are more Jeep owners there than here.
So it should be more practical for you.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Can you buy a new pan with a drain plug already installed?

I like this thinking...

FMI (For My Information): What engine is in your 2010 Wrangler Sport? Just askin'

I went through this with my Ranger. I feared installing the above mentioned drain plug kit was leak prone.

People here got on and said they work fine and that I was over-thinking the fix. Good; I'm glad they work. I'd just use the kit if I were in your shoes.

Sis had the 4.0 6 in her '99 XJ and the transmission pan indeed had the gasketed sheet metal screw in the pan. When you unscrewed it EXACTLY one gallon of fluid drained. How clever of them. Still, that weak little screw didn't make me feel good.

My story ended happily because Dorman had a pan with a plug ($34) AND Amazon offered used ones for $11. I decided to go that way.

They sent me a new one for the $11.

Its has the 3.8 liter minivan engine. No other engine options that year. It has less than 45k on it but its been flawless in 10 yrs.

Last edited:
If you go the DIY route and have the pan removed I would weld a fine thread nut to the OUTSIDE of the pan. Then carefully drill the through hole afterward and use a bolt/washer to plug it. If you use as same nut / thread as the magnetic drain plugs available at AZ that would be a bonus.

Reason being that all the through hole drain kits Ive ever seen are basically a hollow bolt with a nut on the inside and a plugh that threads in, With this setup when you drain fluid you'll always have an amount that wont drain and all the heavy particulates will stay in the pan.... Bad. If you have the Dough an nice aluminum pan with integrated lowpoint drain is the way to go.

Last edited:
Buy the pan with a drain plug. Replace existing pan, buy a filter that comes with a new gasket, buy the Red Line C+ ATF,About 6 quarts iirc, have an inch pound torque wrench, look on youtube for the tightening and torque sequence. Easy-Peasy.

Have B&M plugs on the Tahoe and Z71 … what I have used on other vehicles too …
They probably leave a half quart in the pan.

Back