Drain interval??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long do you leave your oil pan draining for during an oil change. I've traditionally pull the plug late in the day, let the warm oil drain for 20 to 30 min. (while changing the oil filter), exchange the drain pan for a small container and let sit overnight. There can be up to a quarter of a litre drip out overnight. Am I exposing the engine to possible additional wear by draining down the oil system like this -- it is my beleif that some of this overnight oil is from the pump and galleries. I don't hear any "dry rattle" during start-up and the lifters pump-up in a matter of seconds. Any comments???
dunno.gif

If you have the time I believe it is best to drain as long as possible....your practice sounds OK to me. This "old" oil would have drained down regardless if you were changing oil or not....

SPITMAN ,
Letting the vehicle drain all night can only be beneficial.
Just make sure you pre-fill your filter with oil before reinstallation. Don't make your oil pump fill the filter upon start-up.
nono.gif

Be patient filling filter,it'll take a while to soak into/past the pleats.Even if you spill a little putting filter on,it ain't no big deal.IMHO
BTW SPITMAN ,snuff or big leaf?
SKOAL fine-cut or COPENHAGEN here!

Mark

I only let it drain for maybe 5 minutes, or until it only trickles out. Letting it drain longer is beneficial, but not necessary. There will always be a small percentage of old oil in the engine I imgagine, althought in your case, overnight or even a half hour sould get most of it out.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
SPITMAN ,
Letting the vehicle drain all night can only be beneficial.
Just make sure you pre-fill your filter with oil before reinstallation. Don't make your oil pump fill the filter upon start-up.
nono.gif

Be patient filling filter,it'll take a while to soak into/past the pleats.Even if you spill a little putting filter on,it ain't no big deal.IMHO
BTW SPITMAN ,snuff or big leaf?
SKOAL fine-cut or COPENHAGEN here!

Mark

right, and if your filter sits at a 90* angle?

SPITMAN ,
Sorry for the confusion!
blush.gif

Skoal/Copenhagen is a vice I can't shake(like THIS forum)
grin.gif

Mark

Greg ,
Like I said,you'll drip a little. I have a F150 300 I-6 whose filter is mounted horizontally.I never spilled more than I thought was harmful/unnecessary.Just developed a technique to do it as quick as possible.Been there,done it.

Mark

[ February 15, 2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

when i drain the oil for over 20 minutes, the start up is bad... the engine knocks and sometimes low oil pressure message comes on... i just shut it off and restart it and its ok.

In my wife's car I usually let it drain for 2-3 hours. With mine, because I've always done the changes with the car parked on the curb, I only let it drain 15min or so, since we can get tickets in our townhouse complex if we park in front of our houses like that.

But I'm picking up some ramps finally, so I will be able to change the Firebird's oil in the driveway from now on. I'll certainly let it drain 2-3 hours also.

When changing oil for my mom or sister, because I have them come here to do it, and they don't have 3 hours to kill, I'll let it drain maybe 15-20min or so.

quote:

Originally posted by eldawg4100:
when i drain the oil for over 20 minutes, the start up is bad... the engine knocks and sometimes low oil pressure message comes on... i just shut it off and restart it and its ok.

I'm at a loss to understand why it would make any more noise if you let it drain more than 20 minutes. The exact senario occurs everytime you let you vehicle sit more than 20 minutes after shutting it down and not draining oil
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

But I'm picking up some ramps finally, so I will be able to change the Firebird's oil in the driveway from now on. I'll certainly let it drain 2-3 hours also.

I have some ramps but they don't work with my TA. The front of the car os low and hits the ramp before the tire gets there. Had to custom make some out of treated lumber.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I have some ramps but they don't work with my TA. The front of the car os low and hits the ramp before the tire gets there. Had to custom make some out of treated lumber.

Since I can't get Rhino ramps here (which I know work well on the f-body) I found an alternative. Canadian Tire sells ramps that also have an extra extension for them, so it makes the incline up to the ramp less steep. I was checking them out in the store and they definitely would work with my car. The ramps on their own without the extension would've been tricky, for sure my low front end would've posed a problem (even with my car not having any suspension mods)

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:

You can still fill it somewhat. I've had luck filling the filter, letting it settle, filling it again, letting it settle a second time, then installing it. With the filter on a slight angle, no spillage. With the filter horizontal, a little spilage but no big deal. The oil light goes out fairly quickly when you prefill the filter.

[ February 15, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

Get engine oil hot--nice aggresive drive.

Pull oil drain plug and filter.
Wait as long as you want.
LEss additional wear if you fill your new filter.

My Mazda filter sits upside down. I still can get it half filled prior to installation with minimal spillage. Wet media is a benefit. Less likely to tear when hit with 1st shot of high pressure oil.

Another thing to consider is cold start fast idle. I usually prefer to finish an oil change while the engine is still warm. This way it starts up to a reasonable idle and doesn't rev to 2000 rpms with no oil pressure.

[ February 15, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: unDummy ]

buster,

A few years ago I conducted an interesting experiment. I use to work in a quick lube shop where they told us to only have the drain plug out for 2 or so minutes so they can get cars in and out faster. I used my own vehicle (with a 4 quart capacity) and took the drain plug out for 2 minutes and then replaced it (with the engine hot). Then I waited several HOURS and drained the rest of the oil that was in the pan. It turned out to be a 1/2 quart. That means if you go to the quick lube places (at least the one I worked at) 13% of the oil in your engine would be "old oil" (based upon my engine). While 13% might not be a huge percentage, it probably is a significant amount to the oil nuts on this website. For best results, change your own oil and DRAIN IT UNTIL IT STOPS DRIPPING!
lol.gif

[ February 15, 2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: ryansride2017 ]

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
buster,

A few years ago I conducted an interesting experiment. I use to work in a quick lube shop where they told us to only have the drain plug out for 2 or so minutes so they can get cars in and out faster. I used my own vehicle (with a 4 quart capacity) and took the drain plug out for 2 minutes and then replaced it (with the engine hot). Then I waited several HOURS and drained the rest of the oil that was in the pan. It turned out to be a 1/2 quart. That means if you go to the quick lube places (at least the one I worked at) 13% of the oil in your engine would be "old oil" (based upon my engine). While 13% might not be a huge percentage, it probably is a significant amount to the oil nuts on this website. For best results, change your own oil and DRAIN IT UNTIL IT STOPS DRIPPING!
lol.gif

Yet another reason to shun Jiffy
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by eldawg4100:

I'm at a loss to understand why it would make any more noise if you let it drain more than 20 minutes. The exact senario occurs everytime you let you vehicle sit more than 20 minutes after shutting it down and not draining oil
dunno.gif

There are two different theories for draining oil. One is the one mentioned, and the other is to get the clean oil back in and start the engine while it is still warm. The reason for the second is due to the fact that your new oil filter does not have any oil in it and when you start it it will take a while to pump oil to fill the filter before the oil is pumped on to the engine.

Warm oil will fill the filter quicker and provide a good supply to the engine quicker. Plus you have the advantage of the oil that has not yet drained off of the engine back into the oil pan helping to keep components lubed while the oil fills the new filter.

I was trained to fill it and start it right away, but oftend was tempted to get more old oil out as stated in the question. I have come to believe that there is a tradeoff between the two objectives and pay no concern to time, I just do it. In the summer when it is hot I will drain longer. There's just something about drinking a nice cold beer on a nice hot day while watching the extra oil drain.

Greg,
quote:

Originally posted by Greg:

Give it a try. Most of a filter's capacity is outside the center part you see. By the time you fill/wait a few times it becomes clear any dribble from the center outlet is insignificant compared to what's in the outer housing and what absorbs into the media.

My change sequence goes something like:
Prefill new filter
Position drain pan
Prefill new filter
Remove drain plug
Prefill new filter
Remove old filter
Prefill new filter
Install new filter...
smile.gif

David

Status