Drain GC now, or wait???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The M03..... GC (green) that is in my '00 VW GTI 1.8T currently has 7000 (highway) miles on it. It has been in since March. Oil filter is Mobil 1.

My original intent was to go 8000 miles on the oil, but I'm getting a little nervous. Do you guys think I'm flirting with disaster, or should I leave it in for another 1000 miles (2 more weeks)? Either way, I'll be getting a UOA.

Opinions???

I can't recall if you've gone this far with other OCI's (I don't think so...) but if you're a little nervous, I say change it. On the flip side, 8000 hwy miles on GC is a piece of cake so I'm sure you'll be safe. It's all about peace of mind, and all that. Do what you feel is right. It'll be all good in the end.

The two things that make me nervous about going any longer on this OCI are:

1) It is a turbocharged engine.

2) My last UOA, 5100 miles on M1 0w40, showed 1% fuel dilution.

Would these 2 factors influence anyone's decision?

Gotta hit the sack for now.
sleeping.gif

If the fuel dilution was a constant trend showing up in your UOA's then yes it would make me want to change it. Also, I've heard turbos are notoriously hard on oils (I don't have one, just what I've heard). What's the longest you've run GC in the past? Or is this your first OCI with the Green?

If you do decide to go another 1000, why not take a UOA sample now and top-up? With results coming back before the two weeks is up (I would think), you could cut short your extention or further it if you wish upon the data? Just a thought.

Trends in fuel dilution would lead me to question the interval extention, but you've come so far now.

From what few manufacturer recommendations I have seen lead me to think concerning turbo's effect on engine oil...yes, it's given a harder then average treatment over the OCI. The manual seems to have vehicles with turbos follow the severe oil change category regardless.

I believe UAO's would be the best guide, followed by the usual recommendations manufacturer's give.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
....What's the longest you've run GC in the past? Or is this your first OCI with the Green?

This is the first time I've run GC, & the longest I've ever gone between oil changes.

Wayne, I wouldn't push past 7.5K and get the uoa to confirm. Like TooSlick says, GC can do 10K under ideal conditions, but we don't know if you're ideal. Like Patman has said, GC does progressively better on uoa's, at least up to the 3rd or 4th one.

7.5K would be good, imho.
grin.gif

Turbo and fuel dilution is a concern.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

....What's the longest you've run GC in the past? Or is this your first OCI with the Green?

This is the first time I've run GC, & the longest I've ever gone between oil changes.

Oh, ok then cool. How does the Elixer feel compared to the M1? Any noise issues (good or bad)?

I have noticed no difference between the two. I like them both.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Wayne, I wouldn't push past 7.5K and get the uoa to confirm. Like TooSlick says, GC can do 10K under ideal conditions, but we don't know if you're ideal. Like Patman has said, GC does progressively better on uoa's, at least up to the 3rd or 4th one.

7.5K would be good, imho.
grin.gif

Turbo and fuel dilution is a concern.

haley10,

You & I are thinking alike. I will change the oil at 7500 miles. The UOA should be interesting.

I'll also cut the used M1 filter open & post pics. Those pics should be boring.....I hope.

Wayne, I'm guessing your TBN will be good, but not spectacular if you can get that for us?

Since it's the first application, I would just change ir and not bother with a uoa unless you're keeping track of a problem like the fuel dilution. You may not be getting an accurate reading of how long it will last in your car on the first try. I'd use some LC and get a UOA on the second fill at about this time and see if I could take it to 10K next time around. I also don't think running an oil like GC a bit too long on one interval is catastophic. Maybe a small amount of elevated wear and a bit more work for the next fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back