Drain and re-use oil later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably discussed before but I am interested in draining syn blend oil that's at 70 percent on the OLM and replacing with synthetic so as to ensure getting through the long cold winter without having to do an oil change. Would it be ok to refill with the drained oil in spring to finish it off or just use it in OPE or something to avoid the syn to blend switcharoo? Thanks

That's a lot of hassle to get the last 30% life out of $25 worth of oil...what's that save you? $7 dollars? Maybe?

Drain it, recycle it. Done.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
That's a lot of hassle to get the last 30% life out of $25 worth of oil...what's that save you? $7 dollars? Maybe?

Drain it, recycle it. Done.

I agree, if you want to save money, then just run the oil until it needs changing. If you are in NY State then just run full synthetic all year long.

NY is similar to Ontario in terms of Temperatures, it usually doesn't get really cold until Jan and Feb. Can you leave the oil in until the end of December then change over to the full synthetic?

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
70 percent life is remaining

Do your really want what has been sitting in the sump for who knows how long running threw your engine?

If yes go for it. If not then just get new oil.

I use all the old oil from my Accord and Subaru to feed my old truck. But I wouldn't re-pour it into anything I cared about.

Seems strange that it is fine to keep using the oil, but not good to save and reuse. But that said I wouldn't do it either, I just can't bring myself to pour used oil back into something I have just drained used oil out of.

people have ran dino oils for years in frigid climates. if you have a normal viscosity ie 5w20/5w30 even 10w30 you should just leave it in until the oil life gets to at least 25% No need to waste fresh syn/blend lube!

Originally Posted By: old1
Seems strange that it is fine to keep using the oil, but not good to save and reuse. But that said I wouldn't do it either, I just can't bring myself to pour used oil back into something I have just drained used oil out of.

it's because time is valuable, and the "effort" to drain and reuse a partial fill has time costs, versus no costs to keep using oil that's still in your car.

I don't mind spending a few bucks and some time. I enjoy changing the oil actually, but won't if it's 0 degrees in February. 5w30 is in it now. Wanna try PP while it's still got the MIR. I think the dilemma is interesting...as oil goes anyway

Leave the 5W-30 in until it's done. Buy the PP, get the rebate, save the oil for when you need it. You don't need it now. We used to run 20W-50 dino all thru winter back in the day with no ill effects other than it probably hurt the gas mileage a little. The engines certainly didn't wear out.

Its a 5-30, its a syn blend, and has 70% life left.

You gain nothing by draining and later reusing.

This should get you through the worst of the winter, unless you drive long distances and quickly rack up the miles. Being a syn blend I would confidently run it until 0% shows on your monitor.

I'd leave it, there'll be a good day or two this winter to drop the oil if you have to change it.

Last edited:
Change it and run the used oil in the lawn mower. Lots of people here on BITOG are real cheapo's and want to get the last little bit out of their oil. But oil is extremely cheap. A $30-35 oil change isn't a big deal. That's not a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back