Drain and fill without filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I've been using Castrol Edge full synthetic and I've been using Mobil 1 extended performance filters. The filter is supposed to be good for 15k miles. My OCI is 5k miles, can I use the filter for 2 or 3 changes?

Should I just start using a cheaper filter and change it every time?

I change oil and I change oil filter. The two intervals are unrelated. Not enough oil to worry about,especially considering that oil I good for another oci, 2 or 3 in your case.

+1

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
No advantage to those oils if you only go 5K, conventional can do that for you. But yes you can use the filters for 15K

The only reason I'm really doing 5k mile OCI's is because I log all my maintenance in carfax so when I go to trade or sell the truck someday I'll have a detailed record of what was done. Do you guys think the average buyer would be put off by 15k mile OCI's?

Would it be better to drain the oil in the filter and then reusing it or just leave it in for another 2 OCIs?

Sounds like you are throwing away money, friend.

You'd likely be best served by extending your OCI, or switching to a mid-grade filter with conventional/SynBlend on the OCI you are currently using.

But its your money and time. Do what you will.

Last edited:
You guys seem pretty confident that it'll be OK for the extended period. I'll go 7500 this fill and send a sample to Blackstone without changing the oil.
Just to see what they say with my regular driving habits. Thanks for the input, as much as I like getting under my truck... It'd be nice to stretch out the duration a little bit.

Nope! One filter, one OCI
smile.gif

For 5k, even the cheapest filter and dino will work. Smitty's often goes on sale at Kmart for $8/jug and you can use a cheap filter for under $3 like Walmart ST (made by Wix) or Napa Silver.

The buyer of your vehicle will thank you. I wish all people are as meticulous as you do.
You are really a representative of a great BITOG-er.

For me, the reason to use quality oil and quality filter is the ability to own and operate the vehicle up to 300K to 400K.
At that point, if somebody buy the vehicle, I don't think they will ask what was the OCI.
Well, if it does, my answer will be "it has lasted this long, what do you think?"

Just IMHO.

My Sienna is close to 240K miles. It has been on 10K OCI of mostly Mobil1 and on sale high end oil filter since I bought it 117K miles. Very smooth idle, better than when I bought it. I do replace the filter every 10K.

Sorry, I don't answer your question since there are a lot great answer already.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JettyLife
You guys seem pretty confident that it'll be OK for the extended period. I'll go 7500 this fill and send a sample to Blackstone without changing the oil.

This Sounds like the best plan. probably no need for the analysis.

Back in the 90's, I ran an older Ford pickup on the same Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter for 30,000 miles, changing the oil every 10,000 (Cenex 15W-40).

The pleats were "wavy" but it wasn't sludged up at all and was still flowing oil. That engine (400M 2bbl) has made it's way into another farm truck and is still running to this day.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

For me, the reason to use quality oil and quality filter is the ability to own and operate the vehicle up to 300K to 400K.
At that point, if somebody buy the vehicle, I don't think they will ask what was the OCI.
Well, if it does, my answer will be "it has lasted this long, what do you think?" Just IMHO.

Same here.

I have actually never met a buyer who cared enough to believe the vehicle was "worth more".

I have sold many vehicles, and the people that have ultimately handed over the money were not the same people asking about oil change intervals. Just Sayin"

Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Yes, you'll be fine. I'd go up to 7500 OCI and use the filter twice.

+1

I doubt that Carfax report is going to make a huge difference in trade in or resale value of your car.

I've kept detailed spreadhseets of all of my maintenance of the past two vehicles I sold and neither buyer asked for them. Mind you the cars were sold for less than 2k each.

I'd take any owner reported service records with a grain of salt. How do I know if you really changed the oil or just said you did.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Yes, you'll be fine. I'd go up to 7500 OCI and use the filter twice.

+1

I doubt that Carfax report is going to make a huge difference in trade in or resale value of your car.

I've kept detailed spreadhseets of all of my maintenance of the past two vehicles I sold and neither buyer asked for them. Mind you the cars were sold for less than 2k each.

Same for me. When I sold my truck the buyer had no interest in my maintenance records.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
No advantage to those oils if you only go 5K, conventional can do that for you. But yes you can use the filters for 15K

this is false. synthetics offer better wear protection, lower engine temps, improved cold weather starting, and extend engine life. also oil type or brand doesn't determine interval, the engine manufacturer does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back