Drain and fill without filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd take any owner reported service records with a grain of salt. How do I know if you really changed the oil or just said you did.

Exactly, You can type in carfax that you cange the oil every 5000 miles but actually never do it.

Personally, with that oil and filter, I would do a 10,000 mile oil and filter change and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: JettyLife
The only reason I'm really doing 5k mile OCI's is because I log all my maintenance in carfax so when I go to trade or sell the truck someday I'll have a detailed record of what was done. Do you guys think the average buyer would be put off by 15k mile OCI's?

I can't speak for an average buyer, but if I was checking car records and saw the oil was changed every 15K miles I'd pass on the car. People can lie about service records too, so I'm very careful buying used cars.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The only reason I'm really doing 5k mile OCI's is because I log all my maintenance in carfax so when I go to trade or sell the truck someday I'll have a detailed record of what was done. Do you guys think the average buyer would be put off by 15k mile OCI's?

I can't speak for an average buyer, but if I was checking car records and saw the oil was changed every 15K miles I'd pass on the car. People can lie about service records too, so I'm very careful buying used cars.

Likewise. I'd be more likely to purchase a car with maintenance records than without or with high mileage intervals for the services. I would also wager a guess that the person who neglects vehicle maintenance is also unlikely to bother to forge online maintenance documents. Not impossible but improbable.

Hey everyone, I've been using Castrol Edge full synthetic and I've been using Mobil 1 extended performance filters. The filter is supposed to be good for 15k miles. My OCI is 5k miles, can I use the filter for 2 or 3 changes?

Should I just start using a cheaper filter and change it every time?

I am not a 15K filter guy. But I have used them for two 6K OCIs. They aren't even 1/2 full of crud at 12k. So I suppose they (Mobil-1 / Fram Ultra) could filter respectively as high as 20K. But I'm not going there..... no way Jose.

Last edited:
What a lot of illogical emotionalism on this question, every time it comes up!

My last car (the Mazda) racked up 606K on conventional oil changed about every 6K, and ordinary oil filters usually changed every third oil change. Zero lubrication issues, zero signs of wear in the engine.

IMO....a waste of good oil as well as a top-tier filter. 5000 OCI's is "old school' thinking, especially with a top of the line oil and filter you are using. Any good conventional can do 5000 OCI's.

I would suggest in moving your OCI to at least 7,500, and switch to a Fram ULTRA (can be bought at WalMart). Filter can be used easily twice, and IMO, is equal to and cheaper than the M-1 your currently using. You would save lots of $$$'s with the above routine, as well as time and effort.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
So I suppose they (Mobil-1 / Fram Ultra) could filter respectively as high as 20K. But I'm not going there..... no way Jose.

I have seen many, many, "non-ultra" or "non-premium" style oil filters last well past 20,000 miles. Most of them, the severely extended OCI/OFCI was entirely unintentional.

Originally Posted By: CR94
606K on conventional oil changed about every 6K, and ordinary oil filters usually changed every third oil change. Zero lubrication issues, zero signs of wear in the engine.

VERY easily believable with 6K OCI's

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
No advantage to those oils if you only go 5K, conventional can do that for you. But yes you can use the filters for 15K

this is false. synthetics offer better wear protection, lower engine temps, improved cold weather starting, and extend engine life. also oil type or brand doesn't determine interval, the engine manufacturer does

There is zero evidence of this...

and what is your definition of "synthetics".

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
improved cold weather starting,
There is zero evidence of this... and what is your definition of "synthetics".

There are some oils marketed as synthetic that do indeed flow far better at very subzero temps that would be well worth considering if one is living in such extreme cold temps

Perhaps but it depends on the individual oil in question...not what the marketing people decide to call "synthetic or synthetic blend"...and regardless the "extended engine life," "lower engine temps" and "better protection" are complete [censored].

These unfounded blanket statements are proof that in America, marketing is still king...and they certainly do no good for newbies to BITOG

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Likewise. I'd be more likely to purchase a car with maintenance records than without or with high mileage intervals for the services. I would also wager a guess that the person who neglects vehicle maintenance is also unlikely to bother to forge online maintenance documents. Not impossible but improbable.

AGREED ^^^^
Do you really think someone would go thru the trouble of entering false maintenance data on CarfaX---?
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back