Drain and Fill - Power Steering, Coolant and Transmission

I've been doing a drain and fill of the PS fluid and coolant on my 2007 V6 6 speed Accord Coupe every three years when I replace the brake fluid. I have a vacuum fluid extractor that I use to thoroughly bleed the brake system, but for the power steering, I just use the extractor to empty the reservoir and fill it back up with about 10oz of fresh fluid. Takes less than five minutes. After 13 years the fluid that comes out looks nice and clean. Pump is quiet and no leaks. For the coolant, I open the radiator drain cock and extract the coolant out of the overflow tank and then refill. I also drain and fill my wife's Acura Wagon automatic transmission every fourth oil change which takes three quarts. Her PS is electric.

I know draining and filling leaves much of the old fluid in the system, but it is just so easy to do a drain and fill when I'm set up to do other routine maintenance. With brakes, I'm concerned about flushing the old fluid that's been sitting in the calipers. With the transmission, power steering and coolant, I figure the pump mixes up the old and new fluid pretty quickly.

Last edited:
What you do is much better than not doing it at all. Replacing half of fluid with fresh is already an improvement.
If it works for you, no reason to change anything.

I do full brake fluid replacement every 40K miles or 10th oil change,
ATF - D/F every 30K miles,
coolant - D/F every 40K with Long Life coolant.
I do 3 oil changes a year.

Last edited:
Never did power steering fluid changes and never had a problem with the steering components either.

I had a 1986 Audi 5000. It used mineral oil for the power steering and power brakes. Yes, hydraulic assist power brakes. The power steering rack was notorious for leaks. There was a kit with seemingly dozens of o-rings available to rebuild the rack. I had it on a bench for hours changing out o-rings!

I had a 1986 Audi 5000. It used mineral oil for the power steering and power brakes. Yes, hydraulic assist power brakes. The power steering rack was notorious for leaks. There was a kit with seemingly dozens of o-rings available to rebuild the rack. I had the rack on a bench for hours changing out o-rings!

Back