Drain and fill on our 11 camry (ATF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do a drain and fill on our camry, looking for input from anyone who has dealt with a similar application. Every once in a while when the car is cold and i pull out of the drive way and go forward the transmission hesitates to change gear, unless i pull my foot off the gas, im not sure if thats fluid related but i want to service it anyway, im not buying this lifetime bogus.
I've seen a couple of youtube videos where they drain and put in the same amount through the side plug located behind the drivers side tire. Ive also heard the you have to check the temperature of the fluid afterwards, is that necessary or just put in the same amount you take out ?

I also purchased the mighty vac 7201, very solid built unit, already used it on the mustang for tranny service and worked great, plan to use it to dispense fluid in the camry, thanks guys.

How many miles are on this transmission?
I would want to put in at least as much as I took out, since some may have leaked out.
In so far as the temperature, an OBDII code reader that does live data should giev you transmission temperature.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I want to do a drain and fill on our camry, looking for input from anyone who has dealt with a similar application. Every once in a while when the car is cold and i pull out of the drive way and go forward the transmission hesitates to change gear, unless i pull my foot off the gas, im not sure if thats fluid related but i want to service it anyway, im not buying this lifetime bogus.
I've seen a couple of youtube videos where they drain and put in the same amount through the side plug located behind the drivers side tire. Ive also heard the you have to check the temperature of the fluid afterwards, is that necessary or just put in the same amount you take out ?

I also purchased the mighty vac 7201, very solid built unit, already used it on the mustang for tranny service and worked great, plan to use it to dispense fluid in the camry, thanks guys.

There's definitely 'NO fluid' built for lifetime. Mercedes used to have that [censored] too(722.6) and then transmissions started to blow up.

Yes, changing a fluid would be a smart thing to do. I highly suggest to use Toyota/Approved ATF. Because of temperature fluid level changes, that's why they suggest to use cold and 'operating temp' to check fluid level. If you are measuring what came out, then that should not be a problem, just pour back exact same amount.

Usually kind of behavior you are explaining is because of 'cold' fluids and would be fine after temperature gauge gets to operation temp. Good Luck.

I don't know why Toyota makes it a PITA to service the fluid by having the right temperature, and all that mess. I said the heck with it, and took my Lexus to the dealer, and had it machine flushed. A pan drain is useless on some these Toyota trans with less than two quarts being exchanged. Not going to waste my time diluting old fluid with new.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
How many miles are on this transmission?
I would want to put in at least as much as I took out, since some may have leaked out.
In so far as the temperature, an OBDII code reader that does live data should giev you transmission temperature.

46k.

My Scion has a cold protection feature and makes it a bit different acting when first starting. I had to get used to a idiot light coming on till down the road a few miles.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I don't know why Toyota makes it a PITA to service the fluid

Probably because dipsticks cost money, and the bean counters got their way.

I said the heck with it, and took my Lexus to the dealer, and had it machine flushed.

How much did that cost?
How do you know that they actually did it?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

There's definitely 'NO fluid' built for lifetime. Mercedes used to have that [censored] too(722.6) and then transmissions started to blow up.

Yes, changing a fluid would be a smart thing to do. I highly suggest to use Toyota/Approved ATF. Because of temperature fluid level changes, that's why they suggest to use cold and 'operating temp' to check fluid level. If you are measuring what came out, then that should not be a problem, just pour back exact same amount.

Usually kind of behavior you are explaining is because of 'cold' fluids and would be fine after temperature gauge gets to operation temp. Good Luck.

Thank you, yes I'm going back with Toyota World Standard fluid, have it ready to order from Amazon, 4 quarts.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I don't know why Toyota makes it a PITA to service the fluid

Probably because dipsticks cost money, and the bean counters got their way.

I said the heck with it, and took my Lexus to the dealer, and had it machine flushed.

How much did that cost?
How do you know that they actually did it?

I took it to Hendrick North Lake Lexus in Charlotte, NC. It cost $249, and they used 12 quarts of Toyota WS fluid. Noticed immediately that the transmission shifted more smoothly, but it was shifting OK before I took it in. It had 138,000 on the fluid, and I don't think it's a lifetime fluid, so I got it changed. It's been over a month now, and the trans is still shifting good.

My Volvo has similar temperature requirements when changing trans fluid. It is my belief that these temperature requirements/procedures are set to make it simpler for service departments to change the fluid and get the level correct, since the fluid is most likely to be hot when customer brings the car for service.

I drained mine COLD, measures the amount drained, and put the same amount back in at the same cold temperature. Did that 3 times over a few weeks and everything is fine and has been for the past 10k miles.

BTW, that was done at 60K and the fluid looked quite good, still quite red.

On these newer transmissions they put very fine mesh filters and any little debris gets stuck in them 'blocking the accumulators. Other than taking the transmission apart and replacing there is nothing you can do to fix them changing the fluid isn't going to do anything....sorry. If you are having issues get the car to a reputable tranny guy and have him take a look at it.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I want to do a drain and fill on our camry.

Here you go buddy! Its a process indeed and needlessly so. Shame on Toyota.

Drain & Fill Toyota U760E

Thanks

Reset the "learned memory " after you change the fluid. Let the engine reach operating temperature before driving it after the fluid change. if you don't have a scantool, disconnect the battery & touch both battery terminals together to reset the ecu.

Get youself a good 6mm socket and an 3/8" impact to get that basstard drain bolt out.
I stripped the [censored] bolt it is made of the softest steel on mother earth. They are worthless plugs, bad engg.

Shame on any maker for making fluid changes difficult. Making it difficult forces the average owner to go to the dealer for that dealer's added income.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Shame on any maker for making fluid changes difficult. Making it difficult forces the average owner to go to the dealer for that dealer's added income.

BINGO !!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back