Drain and Fill on a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother has a 2008 Grand Caravan with the 4.0 it's at 85k miles and hasn't had the transmission serviced within those 85k. The plan is a simple drain and fill using Amsoil ATF and replacing the trans filter with a wix replacement. The van doesn't have a dipstick so I plan to measure how much I drain out and replace the amount drained. Does anyone see any issues with my plan? Or anything I should also do to make this as problem free as possible?

The only problem with that is if the fluid level wasn't right from the beginning, it won't be right after you service it. I bought the Dorman dipstick for my Liberty, IIRC it will work for your transmission as well. The cost was about $20 and well worth it. I measured temperature of the ATF and looked at the chart. I know the fluid level is correct.

2008-2019 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission Dipstick Tool - Dorman 917-327

The transmission should be stone cold when you drain, this way the fluid out volume = fluid in volume with no need to compensate for expansion that occurs when the AT fluid is warm or hot.

The Amsoil is not needed, you could just use equivalent factory fill.

This service is worthwhile I agree, although an ATF+4 would also be an excellent choice and a lot cheaper. You might also want to think about a timing belt with 11 years and 85K miles.

Appreciate the responses gona stick with the amsoil though just because I really like the products they make, price is not an issue. I'll definitely look into the timing belt and also will most likely flush the PS. The van needs to last at least 4 more years while I pay off the wife's 2017 escape before we can purchase her a new vehicle. Any other recommendations of services will be greatly appreciated

Does that transmission have a drain plug? If not, get an aftermarket pan that has one
smile.gif

Redline C+ is the best ATF to use where ATF+4 is called for. If you find it too expensive, then get any licensed ATF+4

I just changed the tranny filter and fluid on my '14 Grand Caravan 62TE transmission. I bought an aftermarket pan with plug, gasket and the Dorman dip stick. I used a non contact infrared thermometer and the graph scale. I also measured it cold and after changing everything including 5 quarts of Red Line C+ I started, ran through the gears and shut off, rechecked the fluid and looked for leaks. Then took an around town and freeway run and put it back on the lift, no leaks and 125F and a little low, added about .75 quart and was at 40-45mm which is the center of the operating range at that temperature. The hardest part was getting the seal out where the filter neck fits, had to use a drift and cave it in to remove it, new one I used a seal driver. The C+ is a pretty light pink and the OE is a dark purple color. They both stink like hydrocarbons and sulfurous.

I am not sure what tranny is in an '08

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3 liter V-6. The generic trans filters available at the local Advance Auto will not lock into place properly. I had to buy a Mopar part from the local Dodge dealer. Wix filters have a good reputation and may fit fine, just be aware of this.

Look for a valve body removal/replace spec for the fluid volume replacement, I have found one for my 4Runner that is approximately the same as what everyone else was reporting when dropping the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back