Drain and fill of '14 Odyssey

JHZR2

Staff member
We hit 10k miles on our odyssey, so I figured it was time to do a drain and fill of the ATF. It's super simple with a square plug for the drain, and two ways to refill (I used a long skinny funnel to add through the dipstick as I felt it was more straightforward). I put DW-1 in since I got a case of 12 cheap on Amazon. I'd consider Amsoil at some point in the future.

The good: the fluid was beautifully red and clear.

The bad: a TON of sludge and filings on the magnet.

C316E0FD-31C9-4B24-85B5-E0B0530D9B27_zpszozbnwa5.jpg

EBBDE6FB-69D5-47E9-8089-D58DBA70ABEE_zpskfvbcnpd.jpg

47B17FAA-3EE5-4583-8A58-03F36F2B5B35_zpsllmgorip.jpg

22844020-1BF6-4E15-8B69-393C4EA612F3_zpsraaorxwl.jpg

8CF9CC59-4268-4A6D-A26C-0AA089C77DF8_zpsa4gq8qmo.jpg

C9BCB51A-AB48-45F2-845D-193941678976_zpslbbo9mdi.jpg

DB37C765-4547-4708-B449-57BB5CBBB1EE_zpsygm3hpyc.jpg

Can't say there is any difference in feel, but the van gets lots of local driving and it's good to know that all that sludge is out and off the magnet...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
No need to change the ATF at only 10k, unless the MM told you to.

Lots of folks do routine drain and fills, especially on odysseys. It's easier than an oil change, so was a no brainer to get that junk off the magnet. If I do it again, it will be a while.

That's pretty cool that the magnet is on the drain plug rather than separately in the pan, requiring a pan drop to check and clean. The next time I do a D&F on the Burb's tranny I may see if there is an aftermarket magnetic drain plug.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The next time I do a D&F on the Burb's tranny I may see if there is an aftermarket magnetic drain plug.

Does your suburban have an OE drain plug? I added an aftermarket pan to myS
S-10 to get a drain plug. I haven't looked for a magnetic plug... Actually can't remember if I put the OE magnet into the aftermarket pan. Hmmmm.. Pan is aluminum so can't affect it externally.

Great, now you've got me thinking about another project
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks good. Still surprised you bought 2 Hondas.

I'm critical of every brand as I see it. We did a ton of research to find the odyssey best of class.

The HAH was spur of the moment, but I'm pleased with it.

Smart move changing it out early on an Odyssey. As already mentioned most of the transmission wear occurs in the first ten thousand or so miles. I'd be willing to bet you extended the life of the transmission by quite a bit in doing so. I heard Amsoil ATF does very well in Honda Odyssey AT's.

I assume you did just one drain and fill? So 3 quarts out and 3 in?
I kind of like it on the CRV. When I got it the fluid was a little dark, so I've done 2 drain and fills so far at ever other oil change, and the fluid looks much better and seems to stay that way for quite a while.
In the maintenance records at 100k miles the dealership called it a fluid change, but only did 3 quarts out and in, so that's probably why it was dark.
A true change is supposed to be 3 in and 3 out, 3 times with some driving in between each one, but that takes a lot of time and expensive fluid.

Actually from ours (6AT) 4 and a tiny fraction quarts came out. The fraction wasn't even 1/8, so I out 4 back in.

Does that transmission have an external filter? I changed out one early on, on an accord, for $25 it seemed worth it.
25430-PLR-003 Looks like the part #. Pick up some engine and transmission drain plug washers to have on hand.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Does that transmission have an external filter? I changed out one early on, on an accord, for $25 it seemed worth it.
25430-PLR-003 Looks like the part #. Pick up some engine and transmission drain plug washers to have on hand.

I know with the 5spd AT used in the Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline starting in 2007, an internal cartridge style filter is used. No way to get at it unless the trans is removed and taken apart. I'm assuming the 6spd is the same. I'd be curious to see what the filter element looks like once these ATs get some miles on them, especially the way the magnetic drain plug looks. Back when we owned our 2008 Ody, I did 2-3 DAFs over the years we owned it. The magnet always had a black mushroom of paste on it. Not a crazy amount, but about exactly like pictured above.

Here's a pic I marked up some years back of the 2007+ 4-shaft 5spd AT. The filter looks external based on this pic, but it is not, it's buried behind the torque converter somewhere.

Last edited:
Little off topic; The first time it is good to do a drain to wipe clean sludge and filings on the magnet. The next time I think for car that is needed to raise to get to the drain plug a fluid extractor is easier and faster.

I used Mityvac to change ATF for my cars the last 10-15 years, very easy and quick and no mess.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
No need to change the ATF at only 10k, unless the MM told you to.

Any front heavy FWD it is a must to drain and fill if the procedure is straight forward. My sisters 06 Sienna had a tranny build at 90K, never changed the fluid and she complained that she had a 2K bill. I didn't know to cry for her bill or shout at her for her folly.

All minivans its best to get a prescribed drain/fill procedure in place, good job OPer

Looks like you did good at least getting that magnet clean.

A D/F in another 10k might not be a bad idea IMO.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I may see if there is an aftermarket magnetic drain plug.

I replaced the non-magnetic OE drain plug on our CX-9 with a DIMPLE magnetic drain plug for doing D&F's. 3.5qts out and 3.5qts in. Like JHZR2 said, it's easier than an oil change.

One thing I like about honda ( just 1 thing ), their transmission fluid change is SO simple. Drain and fill, heck I do it every years.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
One thing I like about honda ( just 1 thing ), their transmission fluid change is SO simple. Drain and fill, heck I do it every years.

They're the only ones that I know of that include a dipstick, fill plug and drain plug (on most models). If you use the huge fill plug on the Ody AT and a long old school ATF funnel to reach it, ATF pours in faster than an engine oil change.

Back