Drain and fill in the driveway question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone recommend some kind of pump or device for making easier for changing tranny, transfer case , and differential fluids? Sometime you cannot get squeeze bottle where they need to go.

You can get the plunger style extraction/installation pumps at lots of places...got a new one this year at Auto-Zone. They have a grease-gun like body with a t-handle to work the plunger.

I have a pump that screws onto the bottle and works like a jasco pump, it was meant for lubing the lower unit on an outboard but serves its purpose for what I use it for.

Just put a clear tube over the squeeze bottle tip and hold it upside down. The tube fits into the fill hole and go to town...

Thats the way I've done transfer cases, diffs and such if there is little room.

I just hold the tube to the tip to make sure it stays on..

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

National Spencer has all kinds of pumps and they are not expensive, if you want to go with a pump. Bill's clear tube extension is a good idea and that is really all you need.

I wrote to one of the oil companies once, asking if they could package their gear oils in bottles or tubes that could be squeezed, instead of the stiff round ones. No response.

They sell a little kit that has the plastic tubeing with it and an assortment of caps. Can't remember where I saw it. I think either KMart of Advance Auto. An other thing you can do is use a small mustard bottle and cut the spout to make it wider. Its sort of a pain to keep filling but it fits into close spaces.

I have a pump that screws onto a regular gear lube or oil bottle neck. I got it several years ago from Autozone. Most parts store chains have similar pumps, usually near the greases or gear oils. It has a long hose that made it easy to fill a leaking Duster 3-speed without even jacking up the car. I also used it recently to pump fluid out of a power steering reservoir.

I have a pump that screws onto a regular gear lube or oil bottle neck. I got it several years ago from Autozone. Most parts store chains have similar pumps, usually near the greases or gear oils. It has a long hose that made it easy to fill a leaking Duster 3-speed without even jacking up the car.

I have a pump that screws onto a regular gear lube or oil bottle neck. I got it several years ago from Autozone. Most parts store chains have similar pumps, usually near the greases or gear oils. It has a long hose that made it easy to fill a leaking Duster 3-speed without even jacking up the car.

Yeah, I got the tube at advance for $3. It has a couple of spouts and an on/off twist action where it fits the bottle. It worked great on my CR-V rear diff. even though I managed to overfill and still get to wallow in spilled Honda Dual Pump Fluid...

One thing about the pumps that fit the gear lube bottles: I bought one years ago from Checker, and it leaked. Pain in the butt. Then I read in a few different places that the Checker ones leaked, and that the Napa ones didn't. Sure enough, I bought the Napa pump and it doesn't leak. So beware.

I think the Checker one is the same one sold at places like A-Z, and maybe the Napa one is the same thing you'll get at Carquest? I'd just go to Napa to be sure. Same price, just a better part.

- Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back