Drag Racing on older oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 2,000 miles on my current 10W-30 Valvoline Maxlife. I was heading to the track tomorrow to get some numbers... does anyone think it should be changed before I go just so I'm safe - or does it not matter at this mileage level?

personally i wouldn't put valvoline in my car. they don't seem to be bothered enough to make a decent formulation, so i won't be bothered to buy their product.

You should be fine. I dragraced a few times this summer with Maxlife 10w30 in my car, some of those times when it had 2-3k on it. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

I agree with Greg. Valvoline is a has-been that puts more effort into advertising than into making a good product. Check out other posts on this subject!

But, do change the oil - your car will then at least have a chance of making it through the day.

I am intending on going with and sticking with the Schaeffers 15W-40 or 10W-30 after I run out of Maxlife. I currently have no problems running the valvoline, but appreciate your opinions. I'd rather not run pennzoil in my car.

I think a 10-30 is a bit too thin, to go to the track.

I just did 7 successive quarter mile runs, preceded by tiresmoking brakestands (top warm up tires) in my Q45.
I was running a 5w-40 Valvoline SynPower.

The good news in running the MaxLife is that its a bit higher in viscosity than exactly average for a 30 weight.
Think of it as a 33 weight or so(it shares this charcteristic, with all "hi mile formulations").

Still a 40 weight is nicer.

And while I am still mad
mad.gif
at them for subsituting most of their group IV with a group III in their SynPower, I have observed it's detergent package doing a better job than M1 (it was trisyn then).
Valvoline consistenly does a good job with it's detergent packages which is why I like it for engines which I haven't maintained myself since new.

Fred...
smile.gif

[ November 30, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Fred, out of all the guys I drag race with, I would say that 99% of them run 5w30 or 10w30.

As far as Maxlife goes, it is definitely at the upper end of the 30wt scale. My last two oil analysis results showed their 10w30 to be 11.4 to 11.5 cst at 100c.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Fred, out of all the guys I drag race with, I would say that 99% of them run 5w30 or 10w30. .

That's becasue they are willing to incur some risk, in exchange for the 3 hp they are freeing up this way.
Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me, the time you need thicker films the most to run it thin...

Fred...
smile.gif

Well, with all the f-body guys on the internet that I know (literally thousands between all the boards I read) and most of them running 10w30 and 5w30, and drag racing a lot, you'd think that most of them would be wearing out engines with your theory. But they are not. I know a lot of high mileage LT1s that have used nothing but the 30wt oils. I guess my own LT1 will be proof that they can go high mileage, do drag racing, and run 10w30 without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back