Downsides of using fuel inj. cleaner every fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using this fuel injector cleaner off and on for a while.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...80745p.html#srp

Usually I'd add an ounce every other tank (about 30-35 liters).

I noticed on the fills that I DID NOT use this cleaner the idle was poor again, *slightly* longer crank times, and an overall harshness to the engine's performance. Continuing this trend lead to terribly poor performance but nothing abnormal compared to other Focuses of this generation. Focuses in general are known for having a lack of refinement compared to, say Honda.

Since there's measurements on the bottle of .5oz 1.0oz and 1.5oz, I decided to put in .5oz every tank to keep performance consistent.

As a result the performance has been amazing. Every fill with it the car runs amazingly smooth and more powerful than it's every been since I purchased it in 2013. I am convinced that every other Focus out there runs worse than my car (it's that good).

Oh, I forgot to mention I also run regular 87 grade fuel (what's been spec'd for per the manual).
In terms of the math per dose, it works out to 32 tanks of fuel I can treat (473ml=16oz/.5=32) at roughly $7.00 per bottle (when I get them on sale), that works out to roughly an additional $0.22 per treatment...far cheaper than buying mid or prem grade fuels...especially here in Canadaland.

Any downsides to this small amount? am I hurting anything in the process?

thanks

I like the fact that it has a built in measuring cup and the directions don't say to use the entire bottle. So a little goes a long way. For about a quarter per fill up, I'd use it. It's not like it cost a loonie per fill up or even a few loonies.

The only downside is wasting your money. There is otherwise no harm done
smile.gif

Your probably not harming anything but not knowing the product you may e adding PEA or Kerosene. If its a PEA based cleaner that's fine but if its a Kerosene/Naphtha based product its not helping much of anything except as someone said relieving some weight from your wallet.
Try a proven product designed for continuous use like Redline SI-1.

Sometimes, overtreatment can somehow contaminate the oil, I am not exactly sure how this occurs but it is why some products caution that you use them close to an oil change. The jury is still out on the validity of that.

I've run Chevron in FI engines since 1985 without a failure. Buy good gasoline and don't worry.

I have been using this for years in my cars, snowblower, weed eater and leaf blower, in my outdoor equipment i have never had a fuel related issue.
In my small engines i have been using 1 ml per liter.
In my cars i have used the recommended amount twice per year, the only cars i think i really noticed a difference in was the 300 and mazda 3

I dont' think I'm wasting money as the performance has shown a noticeable increase.

Also, I purchase the stuff using gift cards I get free from using my Amex on other purchases.
So overall I'm not really spending anything. I was just concerned that I may be damaging something (despite it being only .5oz per fill).

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Been using this fuel injector cleaner off and on for a while.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...80745p.html#srp

Usually I'd add an ounce every other tank (about 30-35 liters).

I noticed on the fills that I DID NOT use this cleaner the idle was poor again, *slightly* longer crank times, and an overall harshness to the engine's performance. Continuing this trend lead to terribly poor performance but nothing abnormal compared to other Focuses of this generation. Focuses in general are known for having a lack of refinement compared to, say Honda.

Since there's measurements on the bottle of .5oz 1.0oz and 1.5oz, I decided to put in .5oz every tank to keep performance consistent.

As a result the performance has been amazing. Every fill with it the car runs amazingly smooth and more powerful than it's every been since I purchased it in 2013. I am convinced that every other Focus out there runs worse than my car (it's that good).

Oh, I forgot to mention I also run regular 87 grade fuel (what's been spec'd for per the manual).
In terms of the math per dose, it works out to 32 tanks of fuel I can treat (473ml=16oz/.5=32) at roughly $7.00 per bottle (when I get them on sale), that works out to roughly an additional $0.22 per treatment...far cheaper than buying mid or prem grade fuels...especially here in Canadaland.

Any downsides to this small amount? am I hurting anything in the process?

thanks

I use the same injector cleaner periodically. I'm buying Costco gas which is Top Tier, so I'm probably wasting my money as well.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I dont' think I'm wasting money as the performance has shown a noticeable increase.

Also, I purchase the stuff using gift cards I get free from using my Amex on other purchases.
So overall I'm not really spending anything. I was just concerned that I may be damaging something (despite it being only .5oz per fill).

It seems most who replied so far did not bother to read your original post. If it is a noticeable difference, keep using it.

I use Chevron Complete Fuel Injector Cleaner about every 10k or so. Cost about $10 and with a rebate, it's well worth the price of admission.

I know someone with about 70k on a Jeep that never put any additives in and he started have engine issues until he paid a mechanic to put Chevron Fuel Cleaner in and after about a tank, the issues disappeared.

So, Chevron definitely works as advertised, but I wouldn't use it every week.

Originally Posted By: SubieMovie
I use Chevron Complete Fuel Injector Cleaner about every 10k or so. Cost about $10 and with a rebate, it's well worth the price of admission.

I know someone with about 70k on a Jeep that never put any additives in and he started have engine issues until he paid a mechanic to put Chevron Fuel Cleaner in and after about a tank, the issues disappeared.

So, Chevron definitely works as advertised, but I wouldn't use it every week.

Is that techron ? Tks

You need to be aware of "Confirmation Bias" when you use a product and then convince ourselves that a small amount makes a difference, just saying....

it is more likely there is something else besides the fuel injector cleaning.

E.g. Upper cylinder lubrication, or perhaps some water reated stuff like what stabil does.

I would agree, the results are saying more about the quality of the of the gas from the station you are choosing to purchase from is poor quality where you need to treat it to avoid issues; instead of additive is something you require all the time.

Last edited:
This is a PEA based product, from what I understand. I know I'm pretty hard on Canadian Tire, but this is one of their better and better valued products. I haven't tried this one for a few years, but it did get some use in the taxis back in the day, and on occasion, maintenance doses were used, particularly after I got some bad fuel one time.

I've been trying to find out who makes this one for them, but couldn't get onto their MSDS site the other day. The only other PEA type product I've seen with maintenance doses listed was Red Line SI-1. If this were hypothetically to turn out to be rebranded SI-1 at that low price, I'd probably keel over in my chair.

Another option of course is a Top Tier fuel; it doesn't have to be premium. I do still think there is a point to a cleaner at least once in a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buhwheat
Sometimes, overtreatment can somehow contaminate the oil, I am not exactly sure how this occurs but it is why some products caution that you use them close to an oil change. The jury is still out on the validity of that.

That's what Chevron used to say about overusing Techron Concentrate. Something about too high a concentration negatively affecting the additives in engine oil. They recommended not using it more than every 3000 miles and preferably before the oil gets changed to minimize this time with the supposed depleted additives.. Anything that's in the combustion chamber will get past the rings as it's not an absolutely perfect seal. UOA will show stuff like unburned fuel or use of leaded fuel as well as excessive dirt getting past an air filter.

I've used Lube Control's FP60 fuel additive for years in my F150 with the 4.6 and in my Contour with the 2.0 Zetec. With the 4.6 it runs the same with or without the FP60. But the 2.0 Zetec runs so much smother and better with the FP60 than without it, go figure
confused2.gif
. I've used FP for almost every the fuel fill.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back