Downsides of AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family left a ski area via Toyota GPS in their AWD Sienna which led them to a NH road closed for winter travel(signed) with gate open. It was packed down because it's a snowmobile trail which AWD took them along till they got stuck trying to turn around.

No cell phone signal but the vans SOS button worked for tow which they got found by tow company and NH fish and game.

I wonder if they willl put together a North woods law episode off this one.....

http://wmur.com/article/family-tell...lowing-gps-instructions/30364444?src=app

FWD would have just gotten stuck at start!

Glad that made it out safe. However, this is the not the downside of AWD. This would be the downside of not knowing the capability of your vehicle and not knowing the area signage. I am also going to bet there were all season tires on this van.

Always keep blanket, water/water food in your vehicle just in case. Again, glad this didn't have a sad ending

"We saw a sign that the road is not maintained for winter,"

Sorry, but anybody with half a brain would realize maybe they shouldn't venture up there. Common sense has left most...

If you are driving a car during winter, your car should be outfitted with blankets, a cold weather sleeping bag, water proof hiking boots and warm socks, and appropriate outer wear that will keep you alive if you are stranded and run out of gas, etc.

there was a case last year of a old woman who disappeared and it ended up the 80 year old who had a Dodge Charger AWD ended up driving up a trail miles in winter getting stuck and then slipping on ice as she died of injury outside her vehicle. She was found a week or so latter when some next passed.

So there shouldn't be vehicles with all wheel drives because some are idiots?

OP-living in New England you should know the value of AWD just for getting around in the winter time.

AWD gives many a false sense of security. Personally, unless it's a 4WD truck or SUV like a 4Runner/Land Cruiser(and their Lexus sisters) or a Jeep/Rover stay on the beaten path. Go off-road in a 4WD if you have the means to survive(food/water/clothes/insulation/extra fuel), get out(winch/shovel/bumper jack) and communicate(CB radio).

Last edited:
Plenty of people with 4wd or AWD lack common sense. I can't tell you how many times I've come across stuck 4wd trucks/SUV's while out on a trail, which are only stuck due to a lack of knowledge of the vehicle, tires, and/or terrain, or just plain common sense.

This really isn't possible with an AWD vehicle, but a lot of folks in Wyoming have 4WD truck. Growing up, the rule of thumb was that you leave it in 2WD to go do what you need to do, and put it in 4WD when you start having trouble, to get yourself back. In other words, you never go into a deep snow or mud situation with all your capabilities engaged.

With AWD, you need to think ahead about what you're going to do when AWD fails you. An expensive tow, or a horrible, frostbitten death comes to mind.

Last edited:
"a man gots to know his limitations" by clint eastwood! in this case its the vehicles limitations + AWD systems vary BUT BUT without real winter rated SNOW tyres any vehicle is limited!!! safety gear is smart for winter traveling for sure but to push the limits with all season but WINTER SNOW tyres or even better CHAINS your looking for trouble IMO. i would pass struggling AWD + 4WD vehicles on my way to work on top of Red Rock mountain in PA with my 2001 VW JETTA FWD + 4 real SNOW tyres!!! another plus of the CORRECT tyres is better stopping as AWD or 4WD does NOTHING to help that + pickups that are light in the rear + prone to bad handling!! even if your good in the snow the other goofs with a poorly equipped vehicle can RUIN your day or even KILL you!!

Last edited:
In the video of the OP's link, the man seems to take responsibility and acknowledge his poor judgement, so at least give him credit for that. We all make mistakes.

From a different perspective, in my first career position I had to maintain forest roads and I came to despise clueless people with 4 wheel drive. Similar to what Wylecoyote expressed, my boss at that time held the position "if you need 4 wheel drive to overcome poor conditions, then you have no business being there". This regards us having to repair the damage to those roads when inconsiderate morons thought it was cool to get past gates (with signage) and prove their manhood. It's a case of a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone else.

Everyone have a great New Years!

Originally Posted by 02SE
Plenty of people with 4wd or AWD lack common sense. I can't tell you how many times I've come across stuck 4wd trucks/SUV's while out on a trail, which are only stuck due to a lack of knowledge of the vehicle, tires, and/or terrain, or just plain common sense.

Plenty of DRIVERS lack common sense. The increasing popularity of AWD, along with the various safety nannies just makes things worse.

I AM INVINCIBLE !!! Until you're not ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by 02SE

Plenty of DRIVERS lack common sense. The increasing popularity of AWD, along with the various safety nannies just makes things worse.

I AM INVINCIBLE !!! Until you're not ...

Yes, that was my point. I should've elaborated.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by benjy
"a man gots to know his limitations" by clint eastwood! in this case its the vehicles limitations + AWD systems vary BUT BUT without real winter rated SNOW tyres any vehicle is limited!!!

Vehicles with real winter rated SNOW tires can get stuck too...

I have a 4wd jeep and a AWD Mountaineer (summer vehicle).
4WD /AWD guarantees you only one thing. In bad snowy weather drive with common sense and you should make it to your destination. You cannot believe the idiots up here doing 60 mph on back roads because (get this) they have fwd cars.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back