Downgrade Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey if people want to overclock because it helps their specific use case, then great.

It's just not advice I would give to anybody, ever

Thanks for all the suggestions. This tablet barely boots to a desktop and then does little else. I'll probably try a Linux install at some point (maybe a good winter project), but for now it'll probably be shelved. Linux may breathe some more usable life into it, but I think it'll be a challenge to make it actually work. --Rob

I use Nlite to reduce the size of Win 10 on installation and can get it down to 6GB running reliably. If Ram is not more than 4 GB and the hardware supports 32 bit Win 10 then install it as it takes less space than 64 bit.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I haven't found a Linux distro that runs better than W10.

I haven't found any Windows operating system, like ever, that runs better than any five minute install of Ubuntu or Mint.
wink.gif

My seven year-old former Windows 8, now Windows 10 for the past 4-5 years, runs like lightning. What you put on your computer - how you use your computer - how you maintain it and either keep it updated, or decide not to, outlines it's capabilities and performance. A majority ruin their computers surfing at the bad-guy places. Or they choose to open email attachments without more preparation on what to avoid.

Even works that way with Ubuntu/ Mint and those-2 have different sets of problems.

Last edited:
Windows just needs way too much extra garbage to run safely or even carry on in everyday tasks. I've got a box at home with Mint 17.2 and I have run it the entire LTS cycle without any reinstall or significant tinkering. I've never had that with any Windows box, ever, in business or personal use. Windows certainly has gotten better over the years, but there still are enough risks and stupid problems they haven't been able to (or willing to) solve. 10 seems to have some very difficult to solve issues for some people.

I've given up on the Asus tablet--it's boxed up and awaiting the next yard sale we have. I can use my phone for everything I used that tablet for and it's not worth my time trying to change OS's. Thanks for the input!

Disable unnecessary background tasks and services. Odds are you're running out of free memory and pagefiling too much. Having not much remaining free drive space does not slow down a solid state (SSD, etc not HDD) OS drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Disable unnecessary background tasks and services. Odds are you're running out of free memory and pagefiling too much. Having not much remaining free drive space does not slow down a solid state (SSD, etc not HDD) OS drive.

It's so jacked up now it literally takes hours to boot up and then when it does, you can't do ANYTHING with it. I'm done.

If you don't have anything on it that you need, I'd suggest wiping it and installing Linux on it. Since you've already shelved it, give Linux on it a try with the mindset that you are still going to use your phone.

That way, you aren't emotionally invested into it, and if the Linux install is successful it's a good learning experience and you get a lot more life out of your tablet.

My .02¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back