Dow Gear Guard (Molykote M)

Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the motorcycle section. This is in reference to what some consider a weak link in the BMW motorcycle line-up......the final drive. The % is probably small but the end results can be dramatic if you were unfortunate enough to have this problem. While I can't identify the source of the failures, they end up spilling their volume of gear oil, ususally with severe over heating. Seems the majority of the failures are bearing related. I have an 04 R1150RT and the specs call for a 90 wt GL5. The dealers I've been too in Texas sell the BMW branded 75/140 synthetic and I'm guessing because of the heat here and possibly to help with the failures. I have noticed (I've had 2 BMW's) the 1st dump of the factory fill showed the fluid to be quite black which makes me think moly was added at the factory. Thus my question, will ~4% of this moly additive help? Some members on boards I visit say yes.

in a gear system coloidal moly will help reduce heat and will help with gear falure but there is most likly more to the problem than "lousy" oil. bruce

I have a bottle of Dow Gear Guard and it says that it should not be used with synthetic gear oils. I use 75-140 Redline in my transmission and final drive with great results. My bike is a R1150RT. I change it at 5k or 1 year, which ever comes first.