Doug Kalitta Top Fueler to feature Mobil 1, TRD at NHRA SpringNationals

Sounds like they're happy with Mobil 1. Previously were with Red Line for quite some time. Would they say otherwise?

"Since 2019, when the relationship was announced, ExxonMobil, TRD, and Kalitta Motorsports have worked together to develop next-generation Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants to improve engine and gearbox performance."

Yes, the oil requirements of the nitro cars gives us the building blocks for SP oil rating. Will we see top fuel Toyota engines?

Not actually any Toyota parts on a top fuel car. Don't be surprised if the oil in their sump is still Red Line being poured out of generic jugs with a Mobil 1 sticker slapped on it. Weren't they using some form of shock proof in their gears? Mobil 1 developing a shock proof competitor? I suppose Toyota could cast their own 500ci Chrysler Hemi copies but why?

Not actually any Toyota parts on a top fuel car. Don't be surprised if the oil in their sump is still Red Line being poured out of generic jugs with a Mobil 1 sticker slapped on it. Weren't they using some form of shock proof in their gears? Mobil 1 developing a shock proof competitor? I suppose Toyota could cast their own 500ci Chrysler Hemi copies but why?

This. Just because a team/car is sponsored by a brand doesn't mean they are using that brand. Do you think TF and FC cars actually use E3 spark plugs? Those advertisements drive me insane.

This. Just because a team/car is sponsored by a brand doesn't mean they are using that brand. Do you think TF and FC cars actually use E3 spark plugs? Those advertisements drive me insane.

actually, you can be so close that you can touch the heads being worked on, to see exactly what plugs they are using.
heck, i went under the fiberglass body of Tony Pedregons t/fc when he was on team force ... looking out the holes that has been created by the blower explosion that had just happened.
as long as you are nice and dont obstruct any of the workers, all of the tf teams (both d and fc) will let you get close enough to lick the block.
pro stock guys are....please stay back 200ft and have blankets over everything

oil in jugs/bottles can easily be switched....E3 sparkplugs are very very unique and you can see if the electrode is an e3 or not.

just ask member 02SE about it. he is on a tf/d team

actually, you can be so close that you can touch the heads being worked on, to see exactly what plugs they are using.
heck, i went under the fiberglass body of Tony Pedregons t/fc when he was on team force ... looking out the holes that has been created by the blower explosion that had just happened.
as long as you are nice and dont obstruct any of the workers, all of the tf teams (both d and fc) will let you get close enough to lick the block.
pro stock guys are....please stay back 200ft and have blankets over everything

oil in jugs/bottles can easily be switched....E3 sparkplugs are very very unique and you can see if the electrode is an e3 or not.

just ask member 02SE about it. he is on a tf/d team
that is the best part of the top fuel teams you can watch the masters at work . It is in my opinion a treat.

are they required to use over the counter lubes ?

There is no stipulation on lubes. A lot of them use Red Line Nitro 70.

They are not using E3 plugs when racing. It's fairly easy to change those out once the heads are on to a plug that'll actually work. Putting an E3 plug in a head sitting on a table is good advertisement just like throwing on a Mello Yellow hat in the winner's circle and pretending to drink a Mello Yellow. Also, don't believe a part is a specific brand just because the logo is on it. There's nothing in a Top Fuel engine that's commercially available except the oil.

Don't know of any lube rules but I don't have a copy of the rule book newer than the 1980's. Fuel is tightly regulated to 90% Nitro max. 90.1% is a DQ.

Back