Doug DeMuro - Quirks & Features

I think that Doug himself is a bit quirky but, I like his quirks & features videos.
Reasons being:

He brings up most of the cool features about a vehicle. Most of which are nothing more than curiosities to me that will eventually, the novelty will wear off. However these cool features/items may be very important to many buyers and could be the deal maker for some.

And the quirks section(IMO) is what are most important. The items & features that are quirky and/or poorly designed or thought out by the engineers(we can judge for ourselves). Quirks that we as buyers may not discover until we've owned the vehicle for several months or even longer...even as hard as we try to look/discover prior to signing on the dotted line. I would say that most wouldn't be deal breakers but they could be.

Anyway, I like this about Doug's videos as they(for me) could have me completely eliminate a vehicle OFF of my list of vehicles to consider...or look more closely at.

What do you think?

Well, I am the opposite of you, OP. I often skip past the quirks and features about how the glove box opens or where the headlight switch is located and go straight to "and now I drive the ............" Most of the cars he reviews are ones I would never buy but I am curious as to how they drive.

Check out Raiti’s Rides on YT. Not annoying, pretty much reviews everything out there and is fair.

"Most of the cars he reviews are ones I would never buy but I am curious as to how they drive".

I agree however, I do checkout the vehicles that I would consider and consider for others whom I recommend vehicles to.

Check out Raiti’s Rides on YT. Not annoying, pretty much reviews everything out there and is fair.

Oh indeed, I have checked out Raiti's Rides as well, Very often in fact!

Paint Society is another one I like on YT but more about auto body repairs. He kind of makes it look fun. :)

I watch him occasionally. Entertainment. Some of the exotics are pretty interesting, as I'll never have seat time in those. Exotic or just odd vehicles.

I love em' b/c that's the kind of crap I find interesting about cars and notice when I drive other's cars. I like that he reads the manual to find out how things work, again, like me.

I like the quirks because he focuses on weird stuff that the engineers spent a lot of time and effort on. It's usually something trivial that is over engineered. He enjoys pointing that kind of stuff out.

I really want to hate this guy, but he does do some entertaining videos and gets some pretty interesting cars to sample.

I put DeMuro and Raiti in my YouTube second tier, behind Alex on Autos, Redline, and because I'm interested in emerging HyunKia's, Asian Petrolhead. DeMuro is strange, but I don't have an antipathy towards him like Scotty. The big loser in my viewing/reading time is Car and Driver. Along with two financial magazines they were the last paper product entering my house, but I find that only about twenty percent is actually interesting to me whereas I can watch the YouTubes I want to and reduce clutter at the same time. When the last of the paper subscriptions expire, there will be no reason at all for me to even bother going out to the mailbox other than to tip off the delivery person that I'm still alive.

Question: I wonder what Doug DeMuro was like in high school?

He's goofy but I've gotten over that. I love the oddball/older cars. Don't care about the exotics. The Buick Reatta and Isuzu Vehi-CROSS are good.

He helps to ruin the used car market by publicizing all the old cars that are worth buying, that should remain a secret among us passionate car guys.

It's pretty obvious that he knows very little about how an automobile works. As in the basics that any true auto enthusiast knows, or should know. I would bet anyone a steak dinner that Doug DeMuro could not identify a significant amount of basic engine components if they were laid out in front of him, or tell you how an engine works, etc.

It's pretty obvious that he knows very little about how an automobile works. As in the basics that any true auto enthusiast knows, or should know. I would bet anyone a steak dinner that Doug DeMuro could not identify a significant amount of basic engine components if they were laid out in front of him, or tell you how an engine works, etc.
Majority of car buyers don't know or don't care, so it's probably not a big deal.

I don’t watch Precision Transmission for quirks and features for a vehicle just like I don’t watch Doug for a deep dive on drivetrain components. Like Quattro said, most other people in the world don’t know and don’t care to know about how the engine works, just that it does work. They care far more about the interior and what features it has.

Who Cares, he is entertainment, Period. His best video ever was the used Raptor or maybe the VW Thing

Back