Double Oven Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Bosch double oven which has started to act up.

Firstly, the top oven, which is used the most, decided to come on by itself after it was used and turned off. After turn off, it spent several minutes (as is normal) running the fan to expel heat, but after that, it started up again.

So I turned it off at the breaker and decided to only use the lower oven, which has hardly been used.

Today, the light for "Heat" on the lower oven stayed on / went on, after it was turned off and after it had cooled. It is lightly flickering. It goes off if the timer control knob is turned to Lower Oven (it is usually on "Both Manual"). In all other positions, the "Heat" light flickers.

Since both ovens are afflicted, it would seem to be a control board issue. But just wanted to get thoughts and opinions on what other tests I should do before I start throwing parts at it.

Are Bosch's appliances like their power tools and auto parts? Work great with grand precision for a pre-determined amount of time then suffer catastrophic failure?

My neighbor once gave me a beautiful Bosch sliding chop saw just a few weeks out of warranty. Motor was integrated to the saw and had a tiny little shaft that had broken off exactly precisely flush, no chance whatsoever of repair. His previous Bosch was the same model, the same thing happened a few weeks before the warranty ran out. He replaced them with a cheap Chinese Ridgid at a fraction of the cost and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Are Bosch's appliances like their power tools and auto parts? Work great with grand precision for a pre-determined amount of time then suffer catastrophic failure?

My neighbor once gave me a beautiful Bosch sliding chop saw just a few weeks out of warranty. Motor was integrated to the saw and had a tiny little shaft that had broken off exactly precisely flush, no chance whatsoever of repair. His previous Bosch was the same model, the same thing happened a few weeks before the warranty ran out. He replaced them with a cheap Chinese Ridgid at a fraction of the cost and never looked back.

Nice job overgeneralizing. Very useful to OP's question.
frown.gif

To answer OP's question, yes, it sounds like a control board is dying. Try to get the repair manual and you might be able to perform some simple tests like a repair technician would.

Their tire machines are overpriced,and flimsily made.And they refuse to do on-site repairs unless the shop owner/selling party cant fix it themselves.

control board. I have a single Jenn Air but same issues. Made 2 yr warranty period but labor was on me....

google your issues - the forums out there were great in helping me diagnose

I am finding that regardless of the company/brand, all home appliances are failing sooner than in years past. In my experience, refrigerators, washers/dryers, dishwashers but, the stove/oven is only experiencing problems spiraticaly!

Maytag isn't what it used to be either! Still good but, not as good as they once were for reliability.

GE, forged-a-bod-it!

Last edited:
I bought a Bosch side by side for our lake house and, within a year, it was not functioning properly.

The stupid, lazy, techs were too inept or lazy to do anything other than replace the control board, which was not the problem, as modern electronics rarely fail. I finally had to drive up there and fix it myself.

On the other hand, an overpriced matching Bosch washer / dryer are working okay, but they're only used a few times a year.

I would consider other Bosch products on a case by case basis.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
control board. I have a single Jenn Air but same issues. Made 2 yr warranty period but labor was on me....

google your issues - the forums out there were great in helping me diagnose

This problem is not really being discussed as far as I can find.

The part has low availability and is actually over $250. I can send it in to be fixed for $100. Just missed a great deal on ebay for $120.

I will wait to see how bad the issue becomes. It is not making the oven unusable, but we have to switch it off at the breaker to be safe.

Originally Posted By: Win
I bought a Bosch side by side for our lake house and, within a year, it was not functioning properly.

The stupid, lazy, techs were too inept or lazy to do anything other than replace the control board, which was not the problem, as modern electronics rarely fail. I finally had to drive up there and fix it myself.

On the other hand, an overpriced matching Bosch washer / dryer are working okay, but they're only used a few times a year.

I would consider other Bosch products on a case by case basis.

I consider all appliances on a case by case basis. The problem I currently have is that several appliances are builder installs. My experience and research on the models in this house and another new build is the builder gets a deal on the worst products with a brand name.

The oven itself is apparently several thousand $ but not a great performer.

I have a late 90s GE double wall oven, last year the lower one stopped working. The controls worked but it wouldn't heat up. After a few checks I narrowed it down to the control board. Sent it to a place in Texas (fixyourboard.com) and for ~$140 they replaced the relay that had gone bad along with a bunch of other items they said tended to fail. 2 year warranty.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back