Double filter interval and M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't drive many miles per year or tow. In the past year and a few months I've totaled ~9000 and that was with a 2500 mile trip. The rest is city driving with mostly a 13 mile round trip to work. I'm in a very hot climate location. The truck is fairly new to me and I am currently using M1 0w40. The previous change used M1 5w30 HM and was pretty dark. I don't know which oil was used by the previous owner. I've heard this engine is easy on oil.

1. I change the oil/filter at 5k intervals. Considering such low annual miles, I was thinking of switching the filter every other time. The filter isn't that big and the sump takes about 6.5 quarts so I wouldn't think that the small amount left in the filter will affect the integrity of the new oil. It would mean putting the truck up on ramps and removing the skid plate only once a year, too.

2. The manual calls for 5w30, but considering the rave reviews and specs of M1 0w40 I thought I'd try it. The truck was a tad bit more sluggish before warming up, I thought, but I haven't noticed a drop in MPG. If I wasn't using this oil, I'd probably be using M1 5w30 HM, which I used for years in my last truck.

So, should I double the filter interval and should I still use the M1 0w40 or go back to the M1 5w30 HM? If not that 5w30 (maybe a 0w30???), which has the same accolades as 0w40?

Thank you.

Yeah 5w30 would be ideal, no reason to have a 0w40. Here in Phoenix it gets down to MAYBE 30 on a couple days so no 0w needed and your engine runs at the same temperature whether it's 60 outside or 117 outside, that's the beauty of a functional cooling system.

Get a filter rated for 10K or more miles, like a Mobil 1 filter.

I use them for (3) OCI; Remember the oil you are draining was properly lubing the engine minutes before you decided to drain it.

A lot of people let the oil drain for hours before buttoning it all back up; seems a bit silly since there are probably cups of it left in the engine anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah 5w30 would be ideal, no reason to have a 0w40. Here in Phoenix it gets down to MAYBE 30 on a couple days so no 0w needed and your engine runs at the same temperature whether it's 60 outside or 117 outside, that's the beauty of a functional cooling system.

That would be ideal, but in real life virtually every engine will run hotter oil temps in summer, cooler in winter. Your oil pan is air cooled, not water cooled. Extreme hot temps will push oil temps up on 9 out of 10 engines .

Run the 0w40, or even a 5w40 , like M1 TDT OR Rotella T6 etc.

Or, run an oil temp gauge, and see what it tells you...! You may not need a thicker oil.. depending on oil temps.

But a 40 grade in hot temps won't hurt a thing, and may in fact be a better choice, again depending on oil temp.

Great oil. Might be a bit thicker then you need but if you like it then keep using it.

As far as the filters go I'm doubling the interval on my vehicles. Filters get more efficient as the media loads,which means cleaner oil.
My vehicles go into astronomical mileages,running filters for 2 changes so obviously it's not hurting anything.

Similiar to what i am doing with the Clio.

Though i don't always leave the filter on for two intervals.

Tried Shell Ultra 5w40 this time for no reason other than finding it for a decent price.

Fuel economy is now just over 60mpg in mostly town running.

If you want to use 0w40 then go for it.

Many of the Clios miles have been completed with Mobil 1 0w40, sometimes New Life sometimes Turbo Diesel(not the same as TDT as in US)

Run oil and filter changes once a year and get a UOA after one year. I think a quality filter wix, fram ultra, m1, etc..and just change both once a year. I see no reason the m1 0w40 wouldnt hold up for 9k miles.

Mobil 1 0W40 is a great oil.

And you've got a great truck there...but why you're using an oil that doesn't meet specifications for your truck is beyond me...(please note: I am a 4 Runner fan...and my old truck specifies 10W40 in the summer...I generally run a 5W30...but I got this on sale for $1/QT...so, I am running it!)

I would just go back to a 5W30...and change the oil and filter each time...but there isn't a need to change it each year...other folks who put low miles on cars have shown good UOAs on oil that's been in the sump for 2 years...I would just change on miles...

Last edited:
Quote:
In the past year and a few months I've totaled ~9000 and that was with a 2500 mile trip. The rest is city driving with mostly a 13 mile round trip to work.

I have a very similar situation. In the last 10 months I've put 6,000 miles on the InTech 4.6 DD, with 10 mile RT to work, and a long vacation drive. I will change the oil in September, and I am considering changing the filter. Current filter is a K&N (part of an AAP special) and when I bought it, I thought it had synthetic media. My plan was to go 2 years on the filter.

Now, I'm considering taking the K&N off, putting on a filter with synthetic media, and going for the 2 year filter change next cycle.

OTOH, I'm running QSUD so I may just wait and take it out to 7,500-8,000 miles and then change it all.

With the kind of driving you do and your climate, the M1 0W-40 is a good choice. With a good filter you could change both at 10K mi. intervals and be in good shape.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Mobil 1 0W40 is a great oil.

And you've got a great truck there...but why you're using an oil that doesn't meet specifications for your truck is beyond me...(please note: I am a 4 Runner fan...and my old truck specifies 10W40 in the summer...I generally run a 5W30...but I got this on sale for $1/QT...so, I am running it!)

I would just go back to a 5W30...and change the oil and filter each time...but there isn't a need to change it each year...other folks who put low miles on cars have shown good UOAs on oil that's been in the sump for 2 years...I would just change on miles...

Heck some of the heavy commercial diesels are being factory filled with 10w30 now. Detroit with their 15L diesel is factory filling with 10w30, approves it in their lubrication and maintenance manual, and even specifies a 50,000 mile oil change interval as standard. Now those trucks are grossing up to 80,000 lb, doing it from the Rio Grande in the summer to Quebec in the winter. Trans Am is just one of the recent commercial semi truck carriers that has switched all of its bulk shop oils for their Cummins, Detroit, and Paccar engines over to 10w30 Schaeffer blend. Those trucks pull grossed out refrigerated loads out of the Imperial and San Juaquin valleys of southern California and Yuma AZ in the heat of summer, run mountain passes with those full loads, and engines are not having any oil related problems with a 30w oil.

If you get a Fram Ultra you can leave it on for 15,000 miles regardless of time in service, which means less time removing the skid plates. If you oversize, you can probably go 20k.

I'll try and cover some points here.

I chose to try the 0w40 since its a low 40, easy to obtain, and its reputation.

I'm using stock filters. Factory OCIs are 7500 miles so I don't think they'll suddenly deteriorate over the last 2500 if I do the 5k/oil then 10k/filter and oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I'll try and cover some points here.

I chose to try the 0w40 since its a low 40, easy to obtain, and its reputation.

I'm using stock filters. Factory OCIs are 7500 miles so I don't think they'll suddenly deteriorate over the last 2500 if I do the 5k/oil then 10k/filter and oil changes.

I don't see a large problem with your oil choice, other than it being underutilized @ 10k, since regular Mobil 1 5w30 will do it just fine too, but like i said if you use a 15k rated filter, that's 1 less time your taking your skid plates off. Plus the ultras have much higher capacity and efficiency than the OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I don't drive many miles per year or tow. In the past year and a few months I've totaled ~9000 and that was with a 2500 mile trip. The rest is city driving with mostly a 13 mile round trip to work. I'm in a very hot climate location. The truck is fairly new to me and I am currently using M1 0w40. The previous change used M1 5w30 HM and was pretty dark. I don't know which oil was used by the previous owner. I've heard this engine is easy on oil.

1. I change the oil/filter at 5k intervals. Considering such low annual miles, I was thinking of switching the filter every other time. The filter isn't that big and the sump takes about 6.5 quarts so I wouldn't think that the small amount left in the filter will affect the integrity of the new oil. It would mean putting the truck up on ramps and removing the skid plate only once a year, too.

2. The manual calls for 5w30, but considering the rave reviews and specs of M1 0w40 I thought I'd try it. The truck was a tad bit more sluggish before warming up, I thought, but I haven't noticed a drop in MPG. If I wasn't using this oil, I'd probably be using M1 5w30 HM, which I used for years in my last truck.

So, should I double the filter interval and should I still use the M1 0w40 or go back to the M1 5w30 HM? If not that 5w30 (maybe a 0w30???), which has the same accolades as 0w40?

Thank you.

You've got the same vehicle as I do and drive approx the same mileage a year. I live in Colorado where the winters get very cold at times and the summers very hot at times. The rest of the year is fairly moderate.

I asked a similar question of the forum some time ago and you might want to look up the thread.

I too have been wanting to go to one oil change a year, oil and filter. The 4Runner is coming off extended warranty in December so I feel I could if I want to, change the oil and filter 1x a year.

The 4Runner gets a Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 change every six months with a new filter. The latter is dependent on whatever I buy... Pure One, Toy OEM, K&N, Mobil 1, etc.

I don't think the 4Runner needs a 0W-40 oil as the V8 is an engine that's been known to be very easy on oil. Mobil recommends the 5W-30 EP oil and according to them, it should easily last one year's oil change interval. Matted to a Mobil One oil filter, I think the V8 should be good to go.

Of course, YMMV and one should be comfortable with whatever oil and filter they put into their vehicle.

I'd like to personally read a very clear analysis of 0W-40 instead of 5W-30 in a V8 engine and one that can go for one year w/o a change.

If I can find Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30, I might run that for one year with a Mobil One oil filter since I like the characteristics of Pennzoil Synthetics.

We'll see.

First, a good filter intended for longer intervals is important.

Second, don't listen to a bunch of advice, much of which may be misguided. Just run the two oils of interest and compare their performance directly, oil analysis included.

Manufacturer recommendations, especially on older vehicles, can be pretty basic and vague. My 4AGE has factory recommendations from 30 to 50 weights. It leaves a lot of room for consideration of service conditions. The conditions the engine was "designed" for is often a matter of assumption and interpretation. So only your specific performance comparison, for your conditions, really matter in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back