Double check my choice of engine air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I just wanted to double check my choice of engine air filters from those who know more. It is ok if these choices are not the absolute best, what I am shooting for is good to pretty good.

2011 Toyota Prius: Toyota OEM 17801-YZZ12, or WIX 49320
2018 Ford F150: Motorcraft FA-1883 or Fram TGA10262

(Also, anyone know of a place that such filters can be bought in multi-packs for a discount?)

Thanks!

-kehyler

What's more important about air filters is how you change them.

First, run them a while, unless you live in the Dust Bowl they don't need to be changed every 12K miles. The longer you run them, the better they filter. Engines with too-frequent air filter changes typically have high silicone (grit, dust) levels in their UOA's.

Second, clean the area above the filter before removing it, then clean the area below the filter. Do not use a petroleum or silicone based cleaner, just Dawn and water or just water on a rag.

Third, if you check them and don't replace them, don't remove them. Leave them sealed.

Finally, don't remove them, bang them out and then put them back again. Leave them be or replace them, along with the cleaning.

Originally Posted by HangFire

First, run them a while, unless you live in the Dust Bowl they don't need to be changed every 12K miles. The longer you run them, the better they filter. Engines with too-frequent air filter changes typically have high silicone (grit, dust) levels in their UOA's.

Second, clean the area above the filter before removing it, then clean the area below the filter. Do not use a petroleum or silicone based cleaner, just Dawn and water or just water on a rag.

Third, if you check them and don't replace them, don't remove them. Leave them sealed.

Finally, don't remove them, bang them out and then put them back again. Leave them be or replace them, along with the cleaning.

Good advice here. My Tacoma manual says to replace every 3 years. 12 months seems way too often. I'll probably push my 2015 Tacoma's original filter to 4 years since it is garage kept, and the air filter gasket is probably still very pliable.

Originally Posted by HangFire

Thanks.

For the F150, the TG is a great choice
thumbsup2.gif

For the Prius, use OEM

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Check the quality of the Motorcraft. One member here was sorely disappointed by his.

How do I check the quality of the air filter? (I'm pretty new, thanks!)

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
DENSO

Absolutely! I've been buying Denso filters on RA for a great price and the filters are quality and fit right as they claim. Even the Boxes are quality heavy cardboard, not flimsy paper like most use.

Originally Posted by kehyler
Check the quality of the Motorcraft. One member here was sorely disappointed by his.

Make sure it fits right, and fits tight.

Originally Posted by kehyler

I doubt there is a lot of variation in quality among mainstream manufacturers (Fram, Purolator, Wix, etc). I think what you want to avoid are racing or "performance" type filters like those from K & N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back