Double Bucket Overrated?

So I was watching YouTube (dangerous thing to do!) and here is what I was watching:

This kind of makes sense, but you would need a big collection of wash mitts, but is this really better than a simple rinse bucket? I know this is down the rabbit hole some..

Overrated.

Rinse off as much of the loose debris as possible. Pressure washer is ideal.

Use a clean wash mitt with a grit guard. Mix at least four gallons of wash solution. Dunk frequently.

Stick the wash mitt into the washing machine after each use.

I use the two bucket method with grit guards. The visible sediment at the bottom of the rinse bucket tells me that it’s not overrated.

But you still have to dip a mitt into dirty rinse water. It's not like all the dirt settles before you go to rinse the mitt again.

Personally for this reason I just use one bucket and take care not to let the mitt sink to the bottom.

I use the two bucket method with grit guards. The visible sediment at the bottom of the rinse bucket tells me that it’s not overrated.
Anybody that owns a black car will tell you this is not overated. My GTO is black and even with the 2 bucket method, a pre wash rise, and taking every precaution I still get scratches. So no its not overkill or overated IMHO.

Anybody that owns a black car will tell you this is not overated. My GTO is black and even with the 2 bucket method, a pre wash rise, and taking every precaution I still get scratches. So no its not overkill or overated IMHO.
But do you launder your wash mitt after each use?

Do you generously use 3-4 gals of solution per wash, or do you wash using a small 1-2 gal bucket?

Do you pre-treat and pressure wash the areas of heavy grime?

Lots of factors that will influence the results.

Black is my favorite color of most vehicles. Having owned many black vehicles, I just gave up on keeping black pristine. I find it impossible without being obsessive.

I do both, depends how I feel about lugging up two buckets from the basement to the garage and outside ;) If the car is extremely dirty I'll do it more often as the mitt will still be cleaner then one, but I like to run my hand across the face of the mitt to see if anything feels bad either way...

Depends: Are you washing a Ferrari or a Corolla?

I use a grit guard with one bucket. I have used the double bucket method and would return to double bucket along with a grit guard on each bucket if I had a higher end vehicle, especially as mentioned with dark color paint where fine scratches are more noticeable.

I use 2 buckets on my travel trailer.

I don't wash my cars at home hard water spots.

Not overrated. I've been washing cars this way for almost 20 years and the water in the soap bucket stays almost perfectly clean. I don't use grit guards but I use a 5 gallon bucket filled to the brim.

But you still have to dip a mitt into dirty rinse water. It's not like all the dirt settles before you go to rinse the mitt again.

Personally for this reason I just use one bucket and take care not to let the mitt sink to the bottom.
Yes and it doesn't matter because you're squeezing the rinse water out of the mitt before you place it in the wash bucket. You'd be surprised by how much cleaner the soap bucket remains.

The two bucket method is good and effective but it's merely a visual indicator that your process is working: you can *see* hazy or dirty water. Ideally, short of using multiple mitts, you'd just rinse the mitt with the pressure washer (or hose) over a grid after each panel so you wouldn't be dunking it in dirty water at all.

Having yet to find a suitable rinse grid I use the two bucket method with three mitts: one for flats, one for sides, and one for the rocker panels.

I use the two bucket method as well. I don't find a lot of heavy dirt at the bottom like I see on some videos.

I always pre rinse and go from the top to the bottom of the vehicle. I rinse each panel after I wash with the mitt and dunk the mitt into the rinse bucket. For the lower parts of the panels I use a different microfiber towels. It keeps the paint in reasonable shape.

What do car washes use, one or two buckets ?. Last time I took my car to a car wash I drove out the other end before they could wipe it down . That was at least 10 years ago.,Still looks shiny. Next wash will be before I sell it. Why do all that extra work for nothing?.,,,

I just use a pressure washer and dish soap,

Above method doesn't work for everyone, most of the time I only have bird poo, pollen, mud, and dust.

I avoid rubbing things on car paint.

Back