DOT 3 Question

I picked up a pint of DOT3 brake fluid for top up. I noticed on the container it says Synthetic. Is that a problem to add to what's in the system now? Foolish question but, I want to make sure I don't cause issues. Ed

Be careful topping up. It could be an indication your front, usually your front brake pads are worn and near the point of needing replaced.
Topping up in that scenario and replacing the pads which involves compressing the calipers could lead to excess fluid in the reservoir causing it to overflow.

Be careful topping up. It could be an indication your front, usually your front brake pads are worn and near the point of needing replaced.
Topping up in that scenario and replacing the pads which involves compressing the calipers could lead to excess fluid in the reservoir causing it to overflow.
Exactly. I was taught to NEVER top up brake fluid unless I have just replaced the pads.

Does your brake pedal go to the floor? Is the brake light on in the dash, even when the parking brake is off? If so, you might need new pads.

The fluid goes down as the pads wear, and it will go back up with new pads.

If the fluid is low, and the pads aren't worn, there could be a leak.

Back