Dorman products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure it is time to change my oil drain plug, I have around 2 years of service on the factory plug... Should I look into an OE plug from Hyundai, or Dorman plugs are of decent quality.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the dorman hardware is pretty decent actually. their larger parts like manifolds, especially their 4.6 SOHC ford ones are sketch at best.

I see Dorman is into all kinds of parts. I see Dorman A arms for my Taurus on RockAuto. I wonder about the quality though........ RockAuto has about three or four brands of A arms starting with the Dorman on the low end.

Did the exhaust manifold warp, or what was the problem?

No I haven't had any mechanical problems, it is the drain plug on the oilpan- I am an anal person... I wanted to install a new plug on the next oil change

All my experiences with smaller Dorman products have been good. What is the cost difference between the OEM and Dorman?

The Dorman bolt sells for $2.19 at my local parts store. I have not yet checked on the oe price, Perhaps I will just go with the Dorman

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Did the exhaust manifold warp, or what was the problem?

instead of using regular intake manifold to cylinder head gaskets, Dorman uses o-rings around each inlet trumpet. they are not serviced separately through Dorman supposedly and they lock you in to buying a new intake. also the plastic they use does not seem to be as durable as the OE Ford one, the shop i worked at before dealt with a lot of high performance mustangs and i saw more than a few where the main chamber was blown out during boost. the ford ones will blow out too, but usually at higher levels.

I used a Dorman replacement upper intake manifold on my former lesabre's 3800 series II. It fit fine and didn't leak for the 3 years and 65,000 miles we put on the car. Of course this was not a high-performance application.

Dorman has the best upgraded intake gasket kits fir the 3100 and 3400s with everything including new intake bolts.Plus you can repair gas lines now,they have a gas line repair kit you can repair them now instead of replacing tho whole gas line.

Why do you want to change a drain plug? I have used the same drain plugs on cars for 12 years and never had a problem. Just get some crush washers at the parts store and don't worry.

The small Dorman parts have generally always worked well for me. More than once I have been glad I checked their catalogs to see if they had a strange thingamajig I was looking for. The biggest Dorman part I've used was a replacement transmission hard line for my Jeep Cherokee. The replacement came with all the O-rings needed on one end, I need to buy the clips for the other end since I mangled the original. Also had to modify the quick disconnect due to clearance issues which may or may not have been Dorman's fault given I have an aftermarket radiator.

I don't like the way it looks with the black paint coming off from wrenching on it. The auto parts guy, says to me I am not using the right size wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back