Doping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do these jokers continue to use drugs. It seems the TDF is about ruined now all the big names are out of the race.

I guess now, it will be even more exciting since we don't have the top 2-3 contentders anymore.

Such a sham.

Two adjacent definitions of "dope" from a dictionary...

# take drugs to improve one's athletic performance
# dumbbell: an ignorant or foolish person

There is a connection.

Why is Barry Bonds in so many Bitog threads?
smile.gif

[ July 02, 2006, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
Why do these jokers continue to use drugs.

Insecurity. Unlike Lance, they don't actually believe that they can win without it.

I just don't understand why they think they'll get away with it. It isn't baseball!

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
Originally posted by msparks:
[qb]

I just don't understand why they think they'll get away with it. It isn't baseball!
That's what I'm saying. I mean every stage winner gets tested, evertime you sneeze you get tested. I believe that cycling is the most tested sport now, and they still continue to do it.

Way too much emphasis is placed on sports, So what if a baseball player or bike racer dopes himself up? What is sports other than entertainment?

I believe competition in sports should rely on athletic ability not on who can make the best drugs. Maybe too much emphasis is placed on sports, but, there is a tremendous market that will pay for this entertainment. I don't think we would be sending a very good message to our younger people by declaring a "free-for-all" in regard to sports drug use. It's my understanding that even though these drugs may enhance performance, there may be serious problems associated with using them.

If you will notice, the main issue with doping in cycling isn't necessarily power. It is a drug which makes the body produce more red blood cells which increases the athletes ability to carry oxygen. The more oxygen, the more endurance. The problem is that over time, there are so many red blood cells that the blood turns to syrup and heart can no long pump it efficiently and you drop dead of a heart attack. Some of these super tuned athletes have resting heart rates in the teens. Not really good when you're trying to pump 50W blood!

Anyway, the pressure is always there to perform and get results for your sponsers. The racers who were barred, are not yet guilty of doping. They have only been associated with a doping doctor, as was Lance at one time. IMO, it is much better to barr them now, before the race, and let the race be as clean (no pun intended) as possible. I would think that not one of these guys would want to win the Tour De France because the 1st place guy got thrown out for doping. Please remember that this sport is very cut throat and I wouldn't count out the chance of a conspiracy.

Go George!

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Way too much emphasis is placed on sports, So what if a baseball player or bike racer dopes himself up? What is sports other than entertainment?

I agree with this to a certain degree. They should have "freak show" leagues for those that want to drug themselves. I'd watch that occasionally in the same way I watch 5 minutes of WWF every couple of months. But for the sports I actually like to watch regularly, which is mostly just mixed martial arts right now, I wouldn't have any interest if the athletes were on drugs. I just can't respect any athlete or sport that uses "enhancements". I respect someone that goes through a lot of work to get where they are, not someone who's willing to abuse their bodies to get ahead of others.

"Please remember that this sport is very cut throat and I wouldn't count out the chance of a conspiracy"

A friend at work mentions that most of the folks involved in the accusation are European that have anti US bias. Of course Europeans used to dominate the Tour de France.

The TDF is just a business. Where the drugs and blood doping need to nipped is in amateur sports. One professional sport that does need to have drug testing is college football. It might also be worth while to get the college farm teams tested, too, the high schools.

Quote:

"Please remember that this sport is very cut throat and I wouldn't count out the chance of a conspiracy"

A friend at work mentions that most of the folks involved in the accusation are European that have anti US bias. Of course Europeans used to dominate the Tour de France.

Maybe Europeans at large have a pro-European base? Don't American's at large have a pro-American base?

Also, doping accusation are made all the time and the accused are not only non-Euros. For example, Italian rider Ivan Basso was recently banned from riding, and there were dozens of European riders implicated in doping scandals. Doping knows no borders.

Other than setting a bad example to the people who worship sports figures. Who really cares ?I don't they're entertainment.

Quote:

Maybe it is possible that he is not guilty?

Imagine that! For the record, I think that even is he did dope, the proper rules and regulations set by the Anti-doping agency were not followed and the charges should be dismissed. Just as in a criminal trial, if the police don't play by the rules, the charges get tossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back