Don't neglect PS fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lincoln Conti, 95, DOHC, coming up on 150K. This morning I start it up and it sounds like a turbine when I turn the wheel. Wasn't started in like a week and it was cold out. Noise didn't really improve when it warmed up, even after 10 miles. Felt a few deadspots when it was cold, but that went away. I realized the fluid was never changed. Got it at 75K with dealer records, and I never did it.

Anyway went to the parts store, got TYPE F (what is specified) and a bottle of lucas PS leaks stop(just in case, for the noise). Pumped out/replaced 3qts of type F. Best way to do this is to remove the PCM relay - that way you don't flood the cyls. Jack up front of car so the wheels are just off the floor(no need for stands, no one is going under it). Suck out what is in the tank, disconnect the return line, plug the nipple, stick a tube in the return line to the waste container.

Quiet and smooth as a mouse now. I'm wondering now if I should add the Lucas or return it? There are no leaks, but I'm wondering though if it has additives to help the pump.

Here is [censored] proof PS fluid eventually breaks down. Probably 100K is a good interval.

Last edited:
Was it low?

Type F is a very old fluid with no friction modifiers in it, woefully out-of-date in the 90s. And Ford in the 90s wasn't exactly known for their quality.

This would never happen in a Toyota of the same vintage.

No need for the Lucas. Glad is solved your problem. Similar thing happened with the Monte, flushed it out, problem solved.

Two of the most neglected fluids in most light truck vehicle are PSF and Brake Fluid. Addition to these 2 fluids coolant in sunbelt states is rarely changed, the reason is they marketing it as antifreeze and we almost never have any freezing day in winter so owners just don't change it.

I change PSF every 3-4 years with shampoo pump. Do it 3-4 time will replace about 90% of old fluid.

Not low, but the fluid seemed very thin. I am really concerned about seal compatibility at this age, so I went with what the manual says. The rack does not look like fun to swap out.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
No need for the Lucas. Glad is solved your problem. Similar thing happened with the Monte, flushed it out, problem solved.

+1

just get any no name ATF fluid and pull out a few hundred CC's every year and you'll be fine. i'm sure it'll exceed the requirements of your ancient machine.

Its so easy to suck some out of the reservoir/dipstick tube and refill, so thats what I do from time to time.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Lincoln Conti, 95, DOHC, coming up on 150K. This morning I start it up and it sounds like a turbine when I turn the wheel. Wasn't started in like a week and it was cold out. Noise didn't really improve when it warmed up, even after 10 miles. Felt a few deadspots when it was cold, but that went away. I realized the fluid was never changed. Got it at 75K with dealer records, and I never did it.

Anyway went to the parts store, got TYPE F (what is specified) and a bottle of lucas PS leaks stop(just in case, for the noise). Pumped out/replaced 3qts of type F. Best way to do this is to remove the PCM relay - that way you don't flood the cyls. Jack up front of car so the wheels are just off the floor(no need for stands, no one is going under it). Suck out what is in the tank, disconnect the return line, plug the nipple, stick a tube in the return line to the waste container.

Quiet and smooth as a mouse now. I'm wondering now if I should add the Lucas or return it? There are no leaks, but I'm wondering though if it has additives to help the pump.

Here is [censored] proof PS fluid eventually breaks down. Probably 100K is a good interval.

No Lucas.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Its so easy to suck some out of the reservoir/dipstick tube and refill, so thats what I do from time to time.

Yep.

A TALL Shampoo Bottle Pump works great & reaches down further
than a turkey baster!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Was it low?

Type F is a very old fluid with no friction modifiers in it, woefully out-of-date in the 90s. And Ford in the 90s wasn't exactly known for their quality.

This would never happen in a Toyota of the same vintage.

crackmeup2.gif
That's just funny.

Oh, wait! I think you were serious.

Funny story. Well, probably not to you, I guess. A couple years ago I was given the parking lot assignment for a big church event. That day I probably directed at least a thousand cars into parking spots. I'd point one to a parking spot, and then direct my attention to the next car. On occasion I'd be startled by a screeching steering system when a driver was turning into a parking spot. After about the third occurrence, I noted that every time, it had been a Toyota Sienna. Before the day was over, there was at least 5 or 6 times that I had been startled by a screeching steering system. And ever single one of them was a Toyota Sienna. I found it very interesting that, of all the cars that I directed into a parking spot, the only ones with screeching ps systems were Sienna's. It will be a long time before I forget that.

Any way, I'm a big believer in changing ps fluid, as part of a regular PM schedule. This is something new for me, but I have scheduled it for 60k mile service. I would put good money that 100k is more frequent than 95% of cars get.

Whenever I have mentioned changing ps fluid as part of a regular pm, most people look at me as though I'm weird. But there are an awful lot of ps system failures that perhaps could be avoided by ps fluid change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
[

crackmeup2.gif
That's just funny.

Funny story. Well, probably not to you, I guess. A couple years ago I was given the parking lot assignment for a big church event. That day I probably directed at least a thousand cars into parking spots. I'd point one to a parking spot, and then direct my attention to the next car. On occasion I'd be startled by a screeching steering system when a driver was turning into a parking spot. After about the third occurrence, I noted that every time, it had been a Toyota Sienna. Before the day was over, there was at least 5 or 6 times that I had been startled by a screeching steering system. And ever single one of them was a Toyota Sienna. I found it very interesting that, of all the cars that I directed into a parking spot, the only ones with screeching ps systems were Sienna's. It will be a long time before I forget that.

It's usually Fords with the very loud groaning/whining power steering pump.

I'll hear that familiar sound pulling into the shop and without looking up from my monitor say, "Ford!"
Occasionally I am wrong. Last one was actually a PT Cruiser. But more often than not, it's a Ford.

Maybe I should stock up on some Type-F at Big Lots or the dollar store and sell P/S fluid changes.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: ford46guy

No Lucas.

Yes. You should always try and use the specified fluid first to see if it cures the symptom.

Snakes oils can often times cause more problems than they solve.

Although Mercon and Mercon V is spec'd on the Mustang and the Grand Marquis respectively, I run CHF 11-S. Haven't had a whining PSP yet - touch wood. Same goes for the Mitsu, which specs Dexron III and the Envoy which specs GM Power Steering Fluid. Never a problem, and the fluid does improve steering feel IMO - gives it a more muscular feel.

That being said, I flush my power steering systems every 25k miles. It's cheap and easy enough to do, and certainly prevents any future PSP issues.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
[

crackmeup2.gif
That's just funny.

It's usually Fords with the very loud groaning/whining power steering pump.

I'll hear that familiar sound pulling into the shop and without looking up from my monitor say, "Ford!"
Occasionally I am wrong. Last one was actually a PT Cruiser. But more often than not, it's a Ford.

Maybe I should stock up on some Type-F at Big Lots or the dollar store and sell P/S fluid changes.
crackmeup2.gif

Started it up this morning in 20F and quiet as a mouse. There is a bit of noise from another pulley running in the cold for a minute but when you turn the wheel all you can barely hear a very muted whoosh, and the steering feels very confident(this car has 3 settings). Yesterday it sounded like a moose in heat. Maybe there is something special about that fluid~ It did cost $4.99 at advance and is not eligible for discounts...Not saying that {insert your brand here} would do the same thing but I don't want to risk any issues with that rack. A motorcraft rack cost an arm and a leg- the reman ones are junk.

I did call a local Ford dealer and they said they definitely service older cars with Type F, he did say in his experience(he said 30 years as a tech and advisor) he saw issues with other fluids, but usually from the cheap universal fluids. Usually leaks down the line. He admitted MV fluid would have probably worked as well, but the older seals were never tested with its additives, and at 20years you are taking a risk.

They use either Motorcraft($10 /bottle) or Advance, Autozone, whatever, when the distributor is out. He said type F is special and at the time seals were designed to be compatible with it. There was nothing issued by Ford to use Mercon, Mercon V or anything else in those systems. They had plenty of time to do so, and it would have made life easier. Anything 96 and up can use MV.

His advice was to change it 75-100K. We talked further and he said Ford service schedules are geared toward warranty work, and they don't care after 125K what happens to your pump or Transmission. After that they figure it is time for a new one anyway, and let us worry about it. It will likely last that long on the stock fluid. Same goes for brake fluid, which he says to do at least around that interval as well. Rusty brake fluid ruins ABS units.

He said eventually the viscosity in the PS fluid breaks down to the point where don't do its job and it gets noisy. The next step is pump wear and failure. So, here is proof PS fluid tires out.

He also said the techs flush fluid the same way I did, and that is how it is specified in the manual. They charge 1/3 hr for the job + materials. No pressure or chemicals. They got rid of their machine, it is actually faster to do it with cranking.

Last edited:
Last summer I changed the PS fluid in all my vehicles. I have a Mityvac vacuum brake bleeder that works well for sucking fluid out of a reservoir. On my Dodge Ram and my stepson's Saab (Saabaru) 9-2x I used Amsoil synthetic ATF. On my 2003 Saab 9-5 and 2012 Volvo S60 I used Febi-Bilstein 06161, which is equivalent to Pentosin CHF 11S but costs a bit less.

To change the fluid on each vehicle I just sucked the reservoir dry and refilled with fresh fluid, and repeated it two more times after driving for a week in between. I figure about 80-90% of the fluid was changed after doing it three times.

I turkey baster my PS pumps every engine oil change(10-K) and refill with M1 ATF. I don't have pump problems doing this.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I do this with fresh ATF (as called for by Subaru) every 1-2 years using a large syringe.

Brake fluid gets replaced every 50k km = ~30k miles.

I use a Mitivac to suck out the P/S reservoir and replace with new, once a year. Quick, easy, and cheap.

Brake fluid I also use the mitivac, but every 3-4 years when I do a complete brake job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back