don't let your kids play with tablet/smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
or use cordless phone.
My kid did some literature search for his school project and came across this:
http://www.safeinschool.org/2012/01/ipad-iphone-wi-fi-radiation-and.html

Quote:
iPad iPhone Laptop Wi-Fi DECT Cordless Phone Radiation and Magnetic Fields

Please feel free to share the following videos with your friends who own iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and other smart phones and tablets - especially parents who let their children operate these devices. A lot of people think that if the devices are not "connected" to Wi-Fi and are just on standby mode, there will be no radiation. The measurements showed that this is not true. The emission of microwave signals was continual and the levels were high.

The website has some interesting links to external sites like this:

http://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress...cked-my-health/

Quote:
Nokia’s former Technology Chief, Matti Niemelä, was involved in the development the world’s first mobile phones, but fell seriously ill himself from mobile-phone microwave radiation.

[...]

Niemelä explains that the subject of mobile phone radiation has always been kept silent at Nokia.

– You couldn’t talk about it within the company. Yet, among the staff, it was speculated whether the radiation could cause damage. However, no one dared to bring it up, because it could get them fired.

In the future you should get your kid using at least Google scholar for doing academic research. Those blogs you linked to could be written by anyone and are usually not reliable.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/cellular-phones

Quote:
Cell phones work by sending signals to (and receiving them from) nearby cell towers (base stations) using RF waves. This is a form of electromagnetic energy that falls between FM radio waves and microwaves. Like FM radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and heat, RF waves are a form of non-ionizing radiation. They don't have enough energy to cause cancer by directly damaging the DNA inside cells. RF waves are different from stronger (ionizing) types of radiation such as x-rays, gamma rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light, which can break the chemical bonds in DNA.

At very high levels, RF waves can heat up body tissues. (This is the basis for how microwave ovens work.) But the levels of energy given off by cell phones are much lower, and are not enough to raise temperatures in the body.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
In the future you should get your kid using at least Google scholar for doing academic research. Those blogs you linked to could be written by anyone and are usually not reliable.

Sure, but if you bothered to check, this particular blog had specific power measurements and peer-review published references:

Quote:
Scientific studies have found at:
0.002 μW/cm2 - Sleep disturbance and fatigue. Altpeter et al. (1995, 1997, 2005)
0.168 μW/cm2 - Progressive decrease in number of newborns and irreversible infertility in
mice after 5 generations exposure. I.N. Magras and T.D. Zenos (1997)
0.32-16.43 μW/cm2 - Attention, memory and motor function of school children significantly affected in comparison to control groups. A.A. Kolodynski and V.V. Kolodynska (1996)
2.5 μW/cm2 - Damage to blood-brain barrier. Salford et al., (1997)

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/cellular-phones

Quote:
Cell phones work by sending signals to (and receiving them from) nearby cell towers (base stations) using RF waves. This is a form of electromagnetic energy that falls between FM radio waves and microwaves. Like FM radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and heat, RF waves are a form of non-ionizing radiation. They don't have enough energy to cause cancer by directly damaging the DNA inside cells. RF waves are different from stronger (ionizing) types of radiation such as x-rays, gamma rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light, which can break the chemical bonds in DNA.

At very high levels, RF waves can heat up body tissues. (This is the basis for how microwave ovens work.) But the levels of energy given off by cell phones are much lower, and are not enough to raise temperatures in the body.

Apples to oranges. The blog is not doing the usual "cell phones are causing cancers" nonsense and we all know the radio ways can be harmful not just by thermal effects that BTW, are the only basis for radiation safety regulation in most countries, except for some.

Quote:
Health Canada's exposure limit is at an extremely high level of 1000 μW/cm2. China/Russia/Italy/Poland have exposure limits at 10 μW/cm2. Switzerland's general limit is 9.5 μW/cm2 and 4.25 for sensitive areas (children, elderly, medically-challenged). The Swiss doctors' group - Physicians for the Environment - recently issued a public statement calling for reduction of their limit by 10 times, i.e. to 0.95 μW/cm2. Luxembourg/Bulgaria at 2.4 μW/cm2. Salzburg Health Department in Austria recommends only 0.001 μW/cm2 for outdoor and 0.0001 for indoor exposure. This is 10 million times more stringent than our outdated Canadian Safety Code 6 of 1000 μW/cm2.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Quote:

Apples to oranges. The blog is not doing the usual "cell phones are causing cancers" nonsense and we all know the radio ways can be harmful nut just by thermal effects that BTW, are the only basis for radiation safety regulation in most countries, except for some.

It is hardly apples to oranges and unless you plan on placing your child in a lead box he/she is going to be inundated with waves coming from the various cell towers, WiFi access points, TV towers....etc. There is no avoiding it. If I was to be a person concerned about these things (I'm not), then I would be FAR more worried about those MASSIVE devices compared to the tiny ones found in handheld devices. If you have a Wireless Internet service provider near by, check out the output power on the equipment they are using.....

I also suggest at least taking the time to read the text at the cancer.org link I provided, which has a lot more than just what I quoted.

I'm seeing damm near no credible facts here.
Same old cell phones cause cancer [censored].

You wanna talk about known carcinogens, you've got MUCH bigger things to fear

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Especially on a site where we are talking about Engine Oil, LOL!!! Anybody ever bother to read the warnings on the bottles about used engine oil?
wink.gif

If I was to be a person concerned about these things (I'm not), then I would be FAR more worried about those MASSIVE devices compared to the tiny ones found in handheld devices.

You are wrong, the radiowave power decays proportionally to the CUBE of distance. Cell tower in the distance is harmless compared to a milliwatt antenna hold in hands, laps, pockets, or next to ear. The wi-fi devices are more concerning than a mobile phone as they are on 24/7, and not just during a short phone call.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Another reading comprehension issue. This is not about cancer, duh!
Yup, I should not be wasting my time here.

I thought the 'cell phones cause cancer' the was debunked before 2000 rolled around?
In any case, look out for that cosmic background radiation too. That stuff passes right through your cells billions of times a day.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
I thought the 'cell phones cause cancer' the was debunked before 2000 rolled around?
In any case, look out for that cosmic background radiation too. That stuff passes right through your cells billions of times a day.

Ditto!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
If I was to be a person concerned about these things (I'm not), then I would be FAR more worried about those MASSIVE devices compared to the tiny ones found in handheld devices.

You are wrong, the radiowave power decays proportionally to the CUBE of distance. Cell tower in the distance is harmless compared to a milliwatt antenna hold in hands, laps, pockets, or next to ear. The wi-fi devices are more concerning than a mobile phone as they are on 24/7, and not just during a short phone call.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/human-exposure-rf-fields-guidelines-cellular-and-pcs-sites

I am aware of the decay relative to distance. You seem to have missed my point. I said DEVICES, note the plural.

Also, that tower is hitting you 24/7. Just like the Wireless Internet provider I also mentioned (24/7), and if you've got several phone companies in the area, and TV companies and.....etc. Well, you get the picture. You have numerous sources of CONSTANT exposure. Most mobile devices turn off their WiFi when they go to sleep, so assuming your device is bathing you in radiation 24/7 because it uses WiFi is also not a reality.

Also, the power used by the antenna in your portable device, and subsequently what you are exposed to, changes relative to your distance from the point it is communicating with. So living closer to a cell tower actually may result in lower personal exposure. Though of course this has no bearing on what you are being bathed in from other sources.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

You are wrong, the radiowave power decays proportionally to the CUBE of distance.

Why is it called the inverse square law?

Good catch! Yes, it drops by the distance squared.

If it's harmful to my kid, it's harmful to me too! So how does one escape the ever so increasing amount of exposure from all the wireless devices??? Build a bunker and live underground?! Come on, that's just idiotic. As harmful as the radio waves are, humans will still be here until as long as God allows. I ain't worried about it one bit and my one and a half year old can already unlock my iphone, turn on YouTube and watch his fav cartoon (pressing the "skip ad" button when needed to avoid watching the Geico commercial).

I agree that cosmic radiation is also strong stuff that can pass earth protection from magnetic field some times, BUT and AND our bodies had 3.5 million years to handle or adapt to that kind of radiation and radio waves pollution has only about 40 years. Too new for adaptaion and a lot of people will suffer from it. Time will tell, unfortunatelly our kids.

[censored], I slept in the same room as my router (with a total of 1W of power between the two bands) for 4 years. And my cellphone near my head even longer than that. I guess I better prepare myself.

What I am hoping is that any radiation from various wireless devices will kill off any cancer nasties in me from dipping and smoking different types of plants over the years. Seems legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back