Dont laugh but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I check my oil,in my "new" low mile (clean as whistle inside according to the best Infinti shop east of the Missisipi) 32 valve all aluminum V8.
grin.gif

It reads at the lower hash mark.
But the nose is up just a tad, which I will result in low readings.
Also the hash marks are approx 2/3rds of a quart apart on a Vh45DE's dipstick.

So I figure: the nose is only A up I'll just add a half a quart.
dunno.gif

later that day I recheck on perfectly even terrain and I am a half quart over..
mad.gif

So now my engine (6.0 quart factory fill) is a half quart over.

I drive my engines hard and try to maintain them perfect.
But I have a deal where I pay only $13 for an oil change so I dont hassle with it myself.

Is a half quart over worth the hassle of going back?

(I have a collection pan but its a hassle getting rid of used oil here)

Fred...
blush.gif

[ August 05, 2003, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Palmr,

The only thing that might be bad is that the extra oil may put a bit too much pressure on the rear main seal. This may result in an oil leak if the seal is broken. Every car is different however, so I'd get a professional opinion.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Thought too much oil could also cause foaming. Take it back and tell them there is too much oil in it and you would like it right on the full mark; this is why no one touches my car.
wink.gif

Check the oil after a high speed run and look for bubbles on the dipstick. If no bubbles are there, you're not foaming it, so no worries. More oil will NOT cause more oil pressure.

get a piece of thin tubing and s_uck out a bit through the tube. foam is not good. air does not lubricate

Yea- half a quart at that volume is not a problem. Sounds like your filter anti-drainback valve is leaking through. Perhaps when you read it the first time the oil had not leaked through. You might want to switch filters next time.
smile.gif

Half quart over will be OK this one time. Don't make it a habit! If you are going to lose sleep over it however, why not just change your oil filter. That should take care of it.

Here is the way I see it, with modern DOHC V6 or V8 engines, you are going to pump a good quantity of oil into the heads as soon as the engine starts.

There are rumors over at Contour site that the 2.5L Duratec has less than a quart of oil in the pan when the engine gets up around 5K RPMs.

So it seems logical to me that a slight overfill for engines with "big DOHC heads" probably won't be a big problem as a large volume of oil will be pumped into those big heads.

But the safest solution is to not overfill.

But don't lose sleep over it. If you find yourself up at night, do as others have suggested and change the filter or suck out a bit from the dipstick tube.

TB

[ August 06, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Why not unscrew the oil filter, let its contents drain, then screw it back on. That should remove about .5 qt.
wink.gif

Or if you want your shop to do it, have them do that rather than open the drain plug and guess when .5 qt has drained and try not to drop the drain plug when hurrying to get it back on.

quote:

Originally posted by mrchecker:
Check the oil after a high speed run and look for bubbles on the dipstick. If no bubbles are there, you're not foaming it, so no worries. More oil will NOT cause more oil pressure.

Isnt it expected to see bubbles on the dipstick when checking the oil immediatly after shutting it off?

Fred..
dunno.gif

[ August 06, 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:

quote:

Originally posted by mrchecker:

Isnt it expected to see bubbles on the dipstick when checking the oil immediatly after shutting it off?

Fred..
dunno.gif

Anyone?

Fred..
dunno.gif

Thanks.
I see some bubbles with a half quart over after some 3000 rpm driving and shutting off as soon as I dared.

Will drain a half quart out shortly.

Fred...
smile.gif

I'm still not convinced you need to be worrying. Are you hearing a "ticking" sound at idle after a normal or fast run at normal operating temperature? That could indicate that foam is present and allowing leakdown of your engine's hydraulic valve lifters. Absent that, I believe you're OK. The engineers anticipate that your car will not always be operated on level ground. I've driven 16% grades - that's steep by any standard. Accordingly, the "full" level is adjusted to compensate. I agree that it's not good practice to routinely overfill, but the amount you did isn't going to cause you grief unless other operational symptoms are present.

[ August 08, 2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

ray:
Thanks a bunch for the reply!
No ticking of any kind or any unusual noises

I cnat help myself, am Still kinda worried mostly because, I did see approx a dozen small bubbles on the dipstick after a spirited run..

but I will get it done when its convinient and not run out right away.

Fred...
smile.gif

[ August 08, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back