Don't laugh at me..(snowblower oil question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot see why not.
Syn in of itself will provide better protection at lower temps.

I had a GF years ago who's dad swore by syn in his snowblower.
He said at -30C it started much easier than with conventional.
That was all he needed to convince him of it's value.

true story.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
ST should work great, would recommend a 0WXX or 5WXX for a snowblower!
No 20W50.... ;^)

True.... believe it or not air cooled engines don't run that hot in the winter.

I use syn 5W30 in mine, and I'm not particular about brand name. The ST syn will be fine.

I used to run the Ams small engine oil (10w30/30w) and never had any issues except it was a little thick to start. I tried Rotella 5w40 and it was too thick to start cold. I use any 5w30 I use in my car and really have never had any issues. There is no real reason to spend extra money on a synthetic because the run time in a snow blower is very limited.

Its perfectly fine! I use either ST or Chevron 5/30 Conventional, Chevron has a lot of Moly! Synthetic is what I put in my vehicles.

Is it going to snow soon?

Indeed, use ST syn with confidence.
In fact, I have used ST 5W30 dino with confidence. ATMOF, I only use dino in my snowblower.

Perfect oil for limited run time of engine and starting at low temps. Started in year 2 of my now 18 year old Simplicity Snow blower with SnowTek motor.

It only holds a quart ? As far as cost , I would not think it would matter what brand of synthetic you used ( can not think of any reason to use dino , except in an emergency ) . Especially if the synthetic makes it easier to start .

But , bare in mind , I do not own a snow blower . Never used one . Can not think of any one I know that owns one .

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
ST should work great, would recommend a 0WXX or 5WXX for a snowblower!
No 20W50.... ;^)

True.... believe it or not air cooled engines don't run that hot in the winter.

We had a wet, heavy snowstorm a while back and I left my snowblower's engine running full blast to help it throw the snow/muck a little farther...I was pretty surprised that it actually overheated on me. I normally dialed it back at least a bit after starting to keep the noise down somewhat (for my own ears more than the neighbors') and not because I was worried about it getting hot, but that taught me to only use 100% throttle on a snowblower for short periods when I really needed it. To be fair, though, it was about 35F, not super cold at the time.

We had a wet, heavy snowstorm a while back and I left my snowblower's engine running full blast to help it throw the snow/muck a little farther...I was pretty surprised that it actually overheated on me. I normally dialed it back at least a bit after starting to keep the noise down somewhat (for my own ears more than the neighbors') and not because I was worried about it getting hot, but that taught me to only use 100% throttle on a snowblower for short periods when I really needed it. To be fair, though, it was about 35F, not super cold at the time.
Newer snowblowers, like most newer OPE, do not have an adjustable throttle; they run at a fixed speed. I've never had a snowblower overheat, but I can see where it would be possible with heavy wet snow with temperatures above freezing.

All in all, 5w-30 synthetic seems to be the way to go for snowblowers. They shouldn't need anything above SAE 30 for normal operating conditions, nor anything below 5W unless left outside below minus 20 F. I can't speak for the rest of you, but personally I keep my snowblower in the garage so that I don't have to dig it out just to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back