Don't Fix Your Car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
This forum is changing. And it's too bad.

Changing how, exactly... and in what way does that change make it too bad?

...also, FWIW, I'm on the "fix it when it breaks and keep the car as long as you can" camp.

Just seems like theres more bullying, profiling, name calling. Becoming more like everywhere else on the interwebs. Maybe it's just the times we live in. And there's nowhere to hide anymore LOL

What's the problem? Don't tell me they're being too hard on poor Scotty! He's generally pretty hammered, he won't care!
crazy.gif
To the poster with the Taurus wagon, I would keep looking for a decent used transmission & get somebody to swap it in-the jellybean Taurii are dropping from rust every day here!

Wow. Now that's some advice from Scotty. Maybe not good advice but, hey. However I got the opposite from a trans shop. My '04 Sebring with 110K on it, was starting to slip and had trouble getting into reverse. I saw an ad from a trans shop for an oil and filter change - $50 plus tax. Incredulous, I called and asked how they could do it for so little and they gave me the "we buy in volume" BS. However, I figured $50 was a sure lot easier than me climbing under the car, draining filling and swapping a filter.. so I took the "bait".
Now comes the "switch".
I get a call after dropping the car off and they tell me a fluid change won't do me any good and that I need a whole new transmission - $2500 total. I told them to not touch my car and I'd be back to pick it up in 15 minutes. It's companies like that which tick me off to no end. Sad part is very few people know anything about a transmissions anymore. It's easy pickings.
I got the car back home and ended up doing it myself. The car has over 170K now on that same "bad" transmission. It worked perfectly fine after replacing the fluid and filter.
Check your owners manual. Usually fluid and filter are required after 100K. Follow your maintenance schedules. Life will usually be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back