Don't defecate in the drivers seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Dutch National Railways said Friday it has introduced so-called "pee-bags" as an emergency alternative to non-existing toilets on its short-hop trains.

"From today plastic bags will be made available on trains to be handed out to passengers in case of extreme emergencies," NS spokesman Eric Trinthamer told AFP, saying "it included when trains were stranded."

Should passengers be caught short, the train's driver or conductor will hand out the bags and passengers will be able to use the unoccupied driver's cabin at the back of the train.

And:
Quote:
Dutch train drivers also reacted with fury, saying they were revolted by the idea of their work space being turned into a lavatory.

"When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke. Wim Eilert of the country's driver's union (VVMC) told the ANP news agency.

"To let people pee where somebody else needs to work, that will not do. It's distasteful," he said

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/art...4b81a81b8e4.141
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Did you get laid off or something Tempest? You've been on a roll around here, and then you post this? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

crackmeup2.gif
It's a story that I heard on the local news, and it's by the AFP, hosted on Google news. No onion stuff here. Just thought it interesting and funny.

If you don't like it...OK.

Originally Posted By: jaj
What a bizarre way for the Dutch National Railway to tell its drivers that they're number one.

But they never said they can number two.

Last edited:
According to the BBC the bags are to be part of a 'First Aid kit' If the train has to be stopped for an extended period (malfunction etc.) the 'Bag' will be available for those caught short.
Better than peeing out the door?

Its happened here in this country too. I think they've since changed their policy, but the Norfolk Southern Railroad used to buy some (or all?) of its locomotives without toilets. They provided plastic bags equipped with drawstrings for the crews to use. The expectation was that the crews would fill the bags and save them, to be tossed in the dumpster at the end of the day's run. The problem was, the crews hated the bags and instead discovered a measure of protest by tossing them into trees along the rights-of-way. After many complaints, supervisory personnel started issuing each employee their bags and expected them all accounted for after the run, full or not.

However, the case here in this thread is the first time I've heard of actual passengers having to use the bags. Ugggh.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Its happened here in this country too. I think they've since changed their policy, but the Norfolk Southern Railroad used to buy some (or all?) of its locomotives without toilets. They provided plastic bags equipped with drawstrings for the crews to use. The expectation was that the crews would fill the bags and save them, to be tossed in the dumpster at the end of the day's run. The problem was, the crews hated the bags and instead discovered a measure of protest by tossing them into trees along the rights-of-way. After many complaints, supervisory personnel started issuing each employee their bags and expected them all accounted for after the run, full or not.
Now that sounds like a FUN job!

I guess it didn't occur to anyone to just write the crew member's name on the bag when it was issued.

Originally Posted By: css9450

However, the case here in this thread is the first time I've heard of actual passengers having to use the bags. Ugggh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back