Don't bring used oil to a store in a coolant jug....

Got denied oil recycling cause I brought used engine oil in a coolant jug. They said ""NO"" oil that has been contacted with coolant.
What is the big deal if I got a few drops of coolant in this oil?, coolant and oil do not mix, so the oil will rise above the coolant in the holding tank....

..and I had to fill out a record sheet... the last person who recycled motor oil was a month ago(wonder what is happening to all this used oil?)

What store did this happen in ?

They cannot have anything.... In those tanks but used motor oil or transmission oil.

If it's contaminated it's I have heard from a guy at O Reilly's they get a rather large fine.

Can't say I blame them for not accepting that. I wouldn't accept used coolant put in a used motor oil 5 qt container.

Yes it was a O'Reilly's, AZ however accepts used oil in all sorts of containers. Recently I've been using empty windshield washer fluid bottles. Not everyone has walmart empty 5 quart jugs just laying around for a return. ...and filling up one quart bottles with used oil is silly.

Waste Management here requires the oil be placed in gallon milk jugs for curbside pickup. They'll take two per week. Got to put your address on it with a sharpie
I wish there was something like that around here. Does a special truck pick it up? I hope they’re not just throwing it in the back of the garbage truck with the rest of the trash 😳

Waste Management here requires the oil be placed in gallon milk jugs for curbside pickup. They'll take two per week. Got to put your address on it with a sharpie

At least there are places that will take, or collect it now…

compared to the more creative guilty-conscious ways to dispose of used oil before.

My County has an annual drive through fluids recycling drop off. You actually make an appointment. They remove it from the vehicle. Motor oil, coolant, non-latex paint, etc. That's what I have used for some years. Most of my drain oil is in actual oil jugs, but some is in coolant jugs or washer fluid jugs. They don't seem to mind.

I used to take it to some local garages, car lots, etc. A Subaru dealership once had me wait for about 45 minutes while my oil was taken away and dumped in their tank. I had to wait to take my empty jugs away, which they refused to keep. Can't blame them, I guess.

I wish there was something like that around here. Does a special truck pick it up? I hope they’re not just throwing it in the back of the garbage truck with the rest of the trash 😳
Yes, they have a truck for each item, garbage, recycle, yard debris, glass bottle. I guess they want it in milk jugs so it stacks efficiently.

I have a large, (5 gallon), heavy plastic jug I got years ago when I was working, that was used for an industrial supply of Simple Green. I removed the Simple Green label, and use it when I do oil changes on all 3 of my vehicles.

It comes to a total of 18 quarts. (5, 6, and 7 quarts). Which I take to my local Autozone. All I do is call ahead to make sure their tanks aren't full. (They have 2, 600 gallon tanks in the back of the store). If they're full they obviously won't accept it until their truck comes.

So far I've never had that happen. And if it ever did, O'Reilly's is only 2 stores down the road.

Got denied oil recycling cause I brought used engine oil in a coolant jug. They said ""NO"" oil that has been contacted with coolant.
What is the big deal if I got a few drops of coolant in this oil?, coolant and oil do not mix, so the oil will rise above the coolant in the holding tank....

..and I had to fill out a record sheet... the last person who recycled motor oil was a month ago(wonder what is happening to all this used oil?)
Back in the day when oil was only available in single quart containers, I bought a brand new blue, kerosene-labeled 5 gal metal jug to recycle my used oil. The first time I brought it to R&S Strauss Auto to recycle, the counter-man wouldn't accept it since it was in a "kerosene" container. I explained that I bought it brand new and nothing had ever been in it except used motor oil. Just trying to do the right thing here I explained. He held firm. So, I went in the paint aisle and purchased a can of black spray paint and went home. Came back to the store 20 minutes later with the oil in a freshly painted, still a little tacky, big black can and the same guy took and dumped my oil with no questions asked.

I've taken oil in milk jugs, windshield washer jugs, old Clorox bleach jugs, liquid laundry detergent jugs, anything that will hold liquid. Autozone has never once questioned me, stopped me, or made a single comment, and they stopped requiring a signature on a sign-in sheet years ago. And I shudder at how much brake fluid has been in some of those jugs, I bleed the brakes on my cars once a year or thereabouts, so they are getting plenty of brake fluid along with the oil. Lots of ATF too as I overdo that as well. The only sign near the oil tank is "Maximum 5 gallons per day per person" and I pulled in there one time literally with almost 15 gallons in my trunk and the guy working the counter just smiled and said "there's nobody else here right now, go ahead and dump them all in, nobody really tracks that anyway, they just dont want the local mom and pop repair shops using us as their used oil dumping ground".

I’ve had this (won’t accept contaminated oil, based on container) before. It depends on the rules imposed by the vendor (like SafetyKleen) who handles their oil. The store follows those rules.

Easy fix - put the used oil in used oil jugs. Put the used coolant in used coolant jugs. Put the used brake fluid in used brake fluid cans. Dispose of each in accordance with your local laws. No mixing = No hassle.

Now you know. No need for all the endless complaining in this thread.

Back