Donkeys Protect Livestock

Mules work good too, but are less trainable that dogs. I don't think you can really trust a donkey or mule with kids either, but almost all the livestock guardian breeds are very good with kids with some experience, and very good with new born animals. I can see with large herds though, having a dozen donkeys is easier to manage than a dozen dogs, as the donkeys eat the same feed as the herd.

I have a field to the east of my house that cattle graze on from time to time and when they're out there, you'll see the donkey hanging out with them.

Donkeys and pigs are probably two of the most intelligent animals. It's not being stubborn, they are smart enough not to succumb to the needs of man like a horse or dog would.

That's funny. I never saw that video, but me and my wife spent last few weeks driving around looking at houses. And seeing Donkeys in pastures raised a question on why people have Donkeys. Quick Google search showed that it was for herd protection, and since then we mention it in conversations at least once per day for last couple weeks. And now I'm just happy to see that more people are involved in that topic at the same time. Funny coincidence in my opinion, especially considering the fact that I never once in my life before was even remotely interested in Donkeys.

I saw the donkey hanging out with the cows this morning. In the center by the black cow. (Ignore my neighbor's atrocious ditch mowing skills in the photo, he hates yard work) :cautious:
2450B150-6622-4F89-AB40-53BAA0BDE00F.jpeg

Last edited:
We have a family of low end people that have cows and 5 herding type stupid dogs that just chase their cows. low end have people low end dogs.

Back