Done with this Samsung phone, where to buy iphone 13?

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
When my trusty iphone 6C battery failed last fall I decided to try a Samsung A42 5G... mistake. Poor reception, screen freeze, sub-par camera. With the iphone 14 coming out thinking of getting an iphone 13 mini on sale somewhere. Currently on Verizon no plan, would like to buy a phone outright to keep options open. Not an iphone fanboy but it worked fine for me for a long time.

Where's the best places to be looking for a good price? What would a decent price be, they're $600 retail right now.

thanks

Apple sells refurbs, which have new cases and batteries along with a 1 year warranty. Otherwise they don’t really ever go on sale. They’re kinda like Toyota in that regard… not always the absolute cutting edge tech, but reliable and you’ll pay MSRP for it, occasionally a slight discount.

I have never really been able to find any deals on IPhones - there’s a few brands that you never really find deals on...yeti, Weber, Apple. I’m sure there’s a lot more. And it’s because they’re good and they have leverage. I’ve never had an issue with any iPhone I’ve ever owned (except the screen breaking). I’ve had my 10xr for three years now, not one single glitch...for once I’d like to be able to keep a phone for as long as I possibly can. Fingers crossed I don’t shatter this thing.

When my trusty iphone 6C battery failed last fall I decided to try a Samsung A42 5G... mistake. Poor reception, screen freeze, sub-par camera. With the iphone 14 coming out thinking of getting an iphone 13 mini on sale somewhere. Currently on Verizon no plan, would like to buy a phone outright to keep options open. Not an iphone fanboy but it worked fine for me for a long time.

Where's the best places to be looking for a good price? What would a decent price be, they're $600 retail right now.

thanks
My son bought a refurbished I-PHONE XR a couple of years ago for $150 from Gazelle. My next phone will be from Gazelle.
I don't know if you want to go this route. I know of a few family members that went this route and don't regret it.

For best price you might be a little too early as the iPhone 14 is only available for preorder right now.
Still, knowing that, APPLE has reduced the price $100 from $699 to $599 for the 13 mini and $799 to $699 for the 13 standard size.
I dont know (dont think anyone ever knows what apple might do) but I cant see the prices dropping more than another $50. between now and the end of the year.

You can get an iPhone 12 mini for $329 after rebate from Red Pocket or you step up the memory a little and pay $379
Read some reviews on it, make sure the battery life in the 12 mini will be good enough for you, I think they improved it with the 13. Other than that not much difference but read the reviews. At one time I was really interested in the mini, to this day I liked the thought of it but bought a standard 13 because TMobile was offering a great deal for 55+ plans and pretty much we got two new iPhone 13s for trading in our older XR and 11.

Im a bit surprised what a good deal from Red Pocket. You can pick and choose even a 10 GB plan for only $30 and keep in mind Red Pocket doesnt add in taxes and fees to that $30. You can select ATT or Tmobile. the carrier that ends with the "T" is TMobile and the one with the "A" is ATT network. You can confirm with a phone call to them or "chat" I never got a phone through Red Pocket but have used their service with ATT for years, never an issue, I see you have to pay the higher price and wait for a $200 rebate after 3 months of service.
apple-iphone-12-mini

With all my rambling above, I like your idea of getting the 13 better only because better battery in the 13 and whatever other little things, the price difference not that much and since you keep your phones for a long time, MAYBE worth it but maybe not, its nice to have choices!
I dont think you will see a much better deal for a no contract phone plan. Most likely you will have to call to have it unlocked once it is paid for. (more or less read the fine print) I assume once you have fully paid the phone and got the rebate after three months you would be able to get it unlocked.

Last edited:
have you investigate Apple refurbished phones? We have bought 3 of them from Verizon and they are all working well. They were about 1/2 the retail price.

Just my $0.02

I'm not sure what is the niche of Samsung's more expensive phones in the A series line. I paid $40 for an A02 and it's certainly no iPhone, but it's not supposed to be.

stick with iPhone 12 or 13, right now they are at discount price; also, you could go to eBay and buy used from trusted sellers, sellers that have spotless reviews

i'd stay away from iPhones such as SEs and Minis. They are just too small for daily activities

needless to say, iPhone X is still great phone to this day

Got some solid info to work with. Many thanks.

I'd stay away from iPhones such as SEs and Minis. They are just too small for daily activities
The smaller size is exactly why I want one. My daily activities are talking, a text or 2, taking photos, and tracking mountain bike rides on an app.

I didn't expect the Samsung "A" to be an iphone but to just function reliably shouldn't be too much to ask.

Got some solid info to work with. Many thanks.

The smaller size is exactly why I want one. My daily activities are talking, a text or 2, taking photos, and tracking mountain bike rides on an app.

I didn't expect the Samsung "A" to be an iphone but to just function reliably shouldn't be too much to ask.
I understand where are you coming from that is to say your preferences

but any later models and larger models are just better suitable overall for the years to come

Minis and SEs, both are gone by now, I think Apple just kill them both

I'd say a worthwhile video to watch regarding the phone overall optimization

AT&T had a deal - trade in any Samsung Galaxy, get a Galaxy S22 for “free”. Free is in quotes, it’s after bill credits - if you leave AT&T, you owe however much the phone is worth. I’m a Samsung basher - but their game was much better with the S10/20. If you’re a nerd, it’s not hard to get a copy of Odin and a “unbranded” ROM to make the carrier bloat disappear.

T-Mobile has been known for “free” phones - you need to be on Magenta Max to qualify.

AT&T had a deal - trade in any Samsung Galaxy, get a Galaxy S22 for “free”. Free is in quotes, it’s after bill credits - if you leave AT&T, you owe however much the phone is worth. I’m a Samsung basher - but their game was much better with the S10/20. If you’re a nerd, it’s not hard to get a copy of Odin and a “unbranded” ROM to make the carrier bloat disappear.

T-Mobile has been known for “free” phones - you need to be on Magenta Max to qualify.
AT&T runs simular promotion currently; the same goes for Verizon and T-Mobile I believe

Minis and SEs, both are gone by now, I think Apple just kill them both
SE (2022) was just refreshed earlier this year.

I like it because it still has the home button with Touch ID, it’s not overly big and of course the price. It basically has the brains of an iPhone 13 inside an iPhone 8 shell.

If you still like the home button and the older style I think it’s a good value. Plus iPhone will get iOS updates for at least 5 years it seems. My old SE (2016) got them up to iOS 15. Can’t say that about Android.

Back