Done with Synthetics, using high quality Castrol oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys. I have been reading from this board for over a year now. I have tried many different oils. Synthetics, Royal P. Amsoil. Mobil 1. And most recently synthetic blends Schaffers supreme 7000. With an added bottle of Moly EP additive.

I got a great oppurtunity to speak with a guy at the auto parts store that has worked on engines for over 30 years. Tearing them apart ect. What promted me with this whole oil thing is most recently I read on this site about Castrol Syntec Blend 10W30 is rated ACEA A1 and A5. Not to mention Exceeds ILSAC GF-3/GF2. and Jap engine wear test. I have never seen a dino oil with this ACEA A% rating. In fact onl some synthetics have this rating. I asked the guy what he thought about Castrol. "AN EXCELLENT OIL". He said you wont have to worry about this oil sludging like Quakerstate or Pennzoil. The two worst oils according to him. Here is the kicker. I was reaching for my usual mineral base engine flush before the oil change at $3.97. He Grabbed that and said. " NO NO NO.. use this. And gave me the Marval Mystry oil. He said this was the best stuff for cleaning the engine , has a lube and when put into oil, will keep that engine clean. ANd is safe. So Off I went. Put about 1/4 bottle in the tank. The rest in the oil. Drove home 32 miles. Dumped the oil/filter put on my ST filter and added my 4 1/2 qts of Castrol Syntec. I do admit that I did add that bottle of MOlY EP additive that I had from Shaffers. Hey, can't hurt to have more Moly/ Any way. I am DONE, THROUGH, AND I BELIEVE A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY TO USE SYNTHETICS WHEN THESE NEW OILS PROTECT MY TRUCK, A LOT LONGER THEN I CARE TO OWN IT. FRANK MICHIGAN.

I am going to 10W40 Castrol come warmer weather.

quote:

Originally posted by oilrecovery2003:
In fact onl some synthetics have this rating. I asked the guy what he thought about Castrol. "AN EXCELLENT OIL". He said you wont have to worry about this oil sludging like Quakerstate or Pennzoil. The two worst oils according to him.

Your "expert" is an idiot when it comes to motor oil. You'd do well to study the UOA section of this board and develop your opinion of oils based on how well they actually perform via solid data rather than grease monkey "old wives' tales" like this guy is spinning.

You've been reading here for over a year and this is what you've learned?
pat.gif

Good Luck!

Although I use the odd Castrol oil here and there I just could not bare the though of Al Amatuzio's grandkids not getting the best schooling they deserve, so keep on using Amsoil!!!

Well at least give him Kudos for choosing an oil that is putting up great UOAs.

If synthetics are a waste, then I wouldn't be using them, nor would ppl on this board be using them. HOnestly, do whatever floats your boat. If you feel like changing every 3k, then do so. However, syns are the better oil in the long run if you don't change every 3k. Ill take syns anyday over dino in my vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by oilrecovery2003:
In fact onl some synthetics have this rating. I asked the guy what he thought about Castrol. "AN EXCELLENT OIL". He said you wont have to worry about this oil sludging like Quakerstate or Pennzoil. The two worst oils according to him.

Your "expert" is an idiot when it comes to motor oil. You'd do well to study the UOA section of this board and develop your opinion of oils based on how well they actually perform via solid data rather than grease monkey "old wives' tales" like this guy is spinning.

Ditto. If this "expert" has been working on engines for 30 years, why is he an auto-parts clerk? The Pennzoil sludge myth will never die
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
[/qb]

[/qb][/QUOTE] If this "expert" has been working on engines for 30 years, why is he an auto-parts clerk? The Pennzoil sludge myth will never die
twak.gif
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Not helping the parts guy but maybe he is retired and needs the money or too old to rebuild engines at his age. The older parts guys usually have been in the industry fixing cars for a long time but too old to get under a car now and opted to be a parts guy. Just a thought.
tongue.gif
For sure, he has the experience, but up-to-date knowledge of lubricants falls on the short side. oilrecovery2003, maybe you should direct him to this site to get fully informed again.
wink.gif

The truth is a dino is more then sufficient in more than 90% of passenger car engine applications.

It's also quite appropriate for most applications we talk about on the board.

Using a regular dino we will probably get more life out of the engine then the rest of the car will care for.

Proper maintance overall is more lmportant in extending overall car life then some "magic bullet" oil.

so far my toyota runs pretty **** good with pennzoil 10w30.i use marvel mystery oil in my motorcycle every couple of tankfuls,helps lubricate the carb slides. castrol and valvoline oils seem overrated....ps- sounds like the guy you talked to is doing shots of gumout
freak2.gif

[ March 02, 2004, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: moontan ]

Don't ever listen to the "expert" behind the counter at an auto parts store. Last week I asked a guy at Pep Boys what was the 'best' oil filter you guys sell? He said Fram 'is the best of the best' when it comes to oil filters. I guess these guys don't know about BITOG.
patriot.gif

[ March 02, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Boeing 757 Pilot ]

no offense to anyone here, but there is not much difference between listening to a parts guy and listening to a bunch of anonymous people over the internet.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
no offense to anyone here, but there is not much difference between listening to a parts guy and listening to a bunch of anonymous people over the internet.

LMAO
lol.gif

quote:

listening to a bunch of anonymous people over the internet

How many parts counter guys can point you to a list of analytical results such as oil analysis reports to back up their claims?

You have to look at the backup data people provide when judging the credibility of the person giving advice.

I certainly don't trust much of what I find on the internet, but a person who takes their time doing research and gauging credibility of various internet sources can learn a lot.

My personal experience with parts counter guys is that they are often highly opinionated on matters of lubrication yet rarely well information. Ask one sometime for backup data which supports his assertion.

John

I agree with GSV, Havn`t you learned anything from being on this forum? So you are going to pay a Synthetic price for a NON synthetic oil just to say you are done with synthetics, at least you could use the Chevron ISO/SYN oils and save some money! Much better value.
confused.gif

Like abortion and presidential elections, there are innumerable old wives tales when it comes to lubrication technology. I have heard the exact same thing about Pennzoil "sludging up" referred to Castrol, Valvoline, etc. Syntec does well in some standard ASTM tests, fair in others, where a number of GIII Hydrocracked oils are just as competitive. It is way behind Red Line, Amsoil S2K, and LE 8130 in my book.

I do agree that today's isomerized/HC'd oils with the better additive packages are terrific lubricants, and enough for perhaps 95% of all drivers - but it is the other 5% that inhabit oil forums, for cryin out loud. Good is not good enough.

Synoils remain my choice, but their main benefits these days are in three areas as I see it: 1) length of drain interval, 2) protection at temeprature extremes, and 3) protection when boundary lubrication states exist, and the additives/film strength are all that stand between you and excessive wear or even seizure.

Wear protection varies greatly and seems to be affected by a number of factors, including the mechanical design of the engine. One of my cars is a supercharged DOHC V-8 making 450 rwhp, and it produces tremendous troque loads down low; the other is a high-tech 2.2L DOHC I-4, with carbon fiber cylinder inserts and a 8200 RPM redline. I have found that they prefer different brews. The 4-cylinder will not see an oil change until 3000 miles because of special break-in oil (I know, there is no such thing, but a Honda engineer confirmed it to me), and no synoil until about 6K - the carbon fiber inserts need special TLC they insist.

I gotta' point out, this guy has to be full of it when he disses Pennzoil. I sincerely believe that Pennzoil, based on the UOAs it has turned in, is one of the three best conventional oils you will ever see in a retail stores.
Even assuming he really WAS a good mechanic in his day, you can't trust mechanics to pick motor oils. That's a job for an engineer. With the imprecise tools available to a mechanic researching motor oil, there is no way that he would be able to figure out ANYTHING without consulting SAE journals, etc. And then he'd be doing an engineer's job.
A mechanic, without engineering input, couldn't tell whether a 0w15 or a 25W50 was better for your motor long-term. Unless maybe he saw the 25W50 freeze in your climate...

quote:

DONE, THROUGH, AND I BELIEVE A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY TO USE SYNTHETICS WHEN THESE NEW OILS PROTECT MY TRUCK

quote:

He Grabbed that and said. " NO NO NO.. use this. And gave me the Marval Mystry oi

Well, at least now that "wasted" money will be "well spent" on MMO.

With all that cash you're throwing at them, maybe now they can solve the mystery........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back