Donaldson: sold not sealed ?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how came the Donaldson filters I ordered.
Both were unsealed.
I then called the dealer and he told me they come all in the same way, paper box and no seal.

10082009115.jpg

What would you do?
Would you use it in a very high $$$ engine? Personally I wouldn't.

Bye.

Last edited:
many filters don't come wrapped, including pureones which are good quality. I personally don't think it is a problem to worry about.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
many filters don't come wrapped, including pureones which are good quality. I personally don't think it is a problem to worry about.

Ah, didn't know this. All the Nissan filetrs I have ever bought, they all came sealed!

BTW it sounds really stupid for me to care about the "XX micron filtration" of an oil filter, when it just comes unsealed, and there is a possibility that a particles falled down through the center hole.
Am I wrong ?

Many possibilities for this to happen:
a returned item a customer tried to mount on his engine, ecc ecc...

shake it, see if you can hear anything...

My oil clearance is 5/100 of mm, I dont' think you could hear and remove particles around that diameter in this way unfortunately...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REDDOG
shake it, see if you can hear anything...

ROFL
LOL.gif

LOL.gif
LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Any tips for cleaning it perfectly ?

Only filter I recall coming wrapped were some Fleetguards and then I think it did not always come in a box.

You ought to try Baldwin filters. They are every bit as good as Donaldson, Wix, etc, and they are painted a nice racy red color.

Donaldson wraps all of the filters they make for amsoil. but at the proce that amsoil gets, they can afford the premium treatment

I wouldnt worry at all if the filter is sealed in plastic or not.

Most are not.
Ive used Baldwin B2 filters in my Bronco and they werent wrapped.
Ive also used BT251's (long version of a B2/ FL1a) that were wrapped.
Plastic wrap is just overkill imho.

And a point to make is that the particles that you should be most concerned about are likely chips from thread cutting getting into the center (clean side). With that said, you will likely get those in there with plastic wrap or not. I just wipe the threads clean with brake cleaner on a rag and then use compressed air to blow any thing out of there.

Neither do WIX or NAPA Gold filters.

Originally Posted By: Nissanized
Any tips for cleaning it perfectly ?

Just look for any contamination and clean it up. I use a small vacuum cleaner hose applied to the center hole to suck any debris out of the center tube, and make sure there are no burrs or other crud on the base and threads. You'll be good to go.

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
And a point to make is that the particles that you should be most concerned about are likely chips from thread cutting getting into the center (clean side).

crazy2.gif

I thought the thread cutting to be the FIRST thing they do!
BTW, I still think an accidentally single sand grain would do BIG, HUGE, damages to a bearing. And even trying to clean or applying vacuum won't let you be 101% sure there is nothing inside your new, unsealed, filter.

21.gif

Quote:
Donaldson wraps all of the filters they make for amsoil. but at the proce that amsoil gets, they can afford the premium treatment

Often filters are not individually packaged at the point of manufacture. They get shipped to a distribution center and get individually packaged (boxed) there. Often these filters are shipped all over the world in bulk and have to be wrapped in plastic to protect them in shipment. The individual package may have to meet local labeling laws etc and often counties require some local content and having the box made there may suffice in that respect. Its also a way to cut costs, plastic is cheaper than cardboard.

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
And a point to make is that the particles that you should be most concerned about are likely chips from thread cutting getting into the center (clean side).

crazy2.gif

I thought the thread cutting to be the FIRST thing they do!
BTW, I still think an accidentally single sand grain would do BIG, HUGE, damages to a bearing. And even trying to clean or applying vacuum won't let you be 101% sure there is nothing inside your new, unsealed, filter.

21.gif

In modern manufacturing, threads usually are rolled, not cut, producing few chips. Contamination is more likely.

So what high dollar vehicle with a "very high $$$ engine" is this going on?

If it were me putting it on a Ferrari (or Z...), I'd look inside for debris, finding none of course, put it on and then go on with my life.

I still think an accidentally single sand grain would do BIG, HUGE, damages to a bearing. And even trying to clean or applying vacuum won't let you be 101% sure there is nothing inside your new, unsealed, filter.
21.gif

It all depends on what goes on at the factory between the last production step and when it gets put in the box. If the plastic seal goes on at the factory, and then it goes right into the box, then any contamination done at the factory is already in the filter ... under the seal.

The seal is mainly to keep it clean once it leaves the factory, but IMO if it's in the box it really can't be contaminated unless someone pulls it out and subjects it to contamination.

Actually, if there is any loose debris inside the center core, a good vacuum will remove them easily. I've done it more than once.

I have about 750 different Donaldson filters in stock, manufactured in about 18 different countries.
The air filters come in boxes.
Of the oil and fuel filters, about 70% are shrink wrapped, the rest are in cardboard boxes like you posted, with 6 or 12 per corrugated outside box.
I haven't tried to figure out if it is a country thing or what, but even most of the cheap ones are shrink wrapped, then inside a small box and inside the corrugated one.
Maybe I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

car_progress.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nayov
So what high dollar vehicle with a "very high $$$ engine" is this going on?

I'm really a poor guy, my £500.00 S14 engine for me is "very high $$$ engine".

Quote:

If it were me putting it on a Ferrari (or Z...), I'd look inside for debris, finding none of course, put it on and then go on with my life.

You can take all the risks you want, or trust the lucky:
I won't risk my "very high $$$ engine" for a sand grain in a $10 unsealed filter!

I'm not only poor, I'm even a very unlucky boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back