Donaldson P577066 versus Baldwin B7449 Oil Filters

Whip City Wrencher just posted a comparison between equivalent Donaldson and Baldwin oil filters. There's a lot of similarities but also a couple interesting differences. I'm not necessarily trying to drive clicks for the channel, but I figure someone will post their impressions here. Worth taking a look if you have a moment.

Leaf spring for Donaldson is a detriment, but nearly everything else is in favor of the Big D including the metal filter "nipple" vs. the Baldwin plastic standpipe. I wish Donaldson made their Synteq media available in this size.

Neither are popular brands and I never even heard of the first one. Does he even say which is better and why?

Donaldson is a huge filter maker but mainly focus on off-road, HD equipment. They build good stuff.

However I find these manufacturers that specialize in off-road/HD don't have the micron rating as the typical Fram/Wix etc stuff. Like the micron rating will only be be 99% at 40 microns or something.

Donaldson is a huge filter maker but mainly focus on off-road, HD equipment. They build good stuff.

However I find these manufacturers that specialize in off-road/HD don't have the micron rating as the typical Fram/Wix etc stuff. Like the micron rating will only be be 99% at 40 microns or something.
Curious how some filter manufacturers give us some of the data we'd like to see, and others provide a different set of specs they want to report on... yet none of them will include everything that a filter geek would like to see on a spec sheet :unsure::ROFLMAO:

The P577066 has a 50% at 6micron rating. Pretty good, assume 99.9% around 20 or so.
The Baldwin B7449 lists 9.8micron Nominal; 27 Absolute
I believe "nominal" = 50%.
These are published on their respective websites.

Just curious about other types...
Baldwin cross references Fram 7317 to B1402 which is very common application (For my Honda specifically) and lists 45micron absolute and 23micron nominal.
Couldn't find a direct cross reference for Donaldson, but checking the Baldwin part # gave me Donaldson P502057 which lists 50% at 20 micron.
So, evidently they are using different media depending on application. That is disappointing.

I'm a little disappointed that the Donaldson doesn't have a crimped end in the media, but I do like it's media thickness. I tried to back figure the efficiency based on their numbers and I think it equates to about 95% or a little better at 25u. But that was awhile ago and I might be wrong anyway.

It was nice to see the silicone ADBV, but I was surprised to see it has M&H construction and a thinner can. I was previously debating between this Donaldson and a PureOne and went with the Donaldson assuming it had superior construction, even though it cost more. So this is a little ironic. I'm going to use the Donaldson for an annual oil change interval with about 3,000 miles, so it should be suitable. It's reassuring see it has extra pleating too.

I'm a little disappointed that the Donaldson doesn't have a crimped end in the media, but I do like it's media thickness. I tried to back figure the efficiency based on their numbers and I think it equates to about 95% or a little better at 25u. But that was awhile ago and I might be wrong anyway.

It was nice to see the silicone ADBV, but I was surprised to see it has M&H construction and a thinner can. I was previously debating between this Donaldson and a PureOne and went with the Donaldson assuming it had superior construction, even though it cost more. So this is a little ironic. I'm going to use the Donaldson for an annual oil change interval with about 3,000 miles, so it should be suitable. It's reassuring see it has extra pleating too.
The Donaldson is a fine filter. You just have to be able to justify the cost against other available offerings. Like I said before, if they offered this size with Synteq media I’d be all over it!

That would be amazing. A complete no-brainer. I'd pay an extra buck or two for that media.
Meh, nothing really special about that media. It's more marketing than anything. D'son still primarily uses glass and cellulose in those Synteq filters. Kinda like Taco Bell...how many times can you retread the same ingredients and call it something different ;)

Back