Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing a Must-See

My wife and I were in Florida two weeks ago for our grand daughter's high school graduation. The Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing ( https://garlits.com/ ) is awesome and will really bring back nostalgic memories for baby boomers that lived the golden age of drag racing. Besides several hundred cars, the museum is choke full of personal memorabilia of Mr. Garlits. You see a service garage receipt dated 1955 for a new crank shaft well under $50 and can imagine the young adult at the beginning of his passion.

He is 92, still active, and lives in a very modest home on the museum grounds. My wife and even my teen grand daughters enjoyed the museum.

Here's a good collection of photos to whet your appetite: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...Daddy-Don-Garlits-Drag-Racing-Museum-Ocala-FL

My wife and registered service dog:
1717947221051.jpeg

Last edited:
i would surely love to!! the man himself is a class act from the days without electronics + big $$$$!!!

You're right! I was there many, many years ago. If you're a race fan and not too far from Ocala, it's definitely worth a visit.

i would surely love to!! the man himself is a class act from the days without electronics + big $$$$!!!

The only Electronics on a modern TF/D, are the ignition boxes, the dash, the sensors that monitor numerous things (oil pressure, RPM, etc.) the Data-logger, and the system that can shut the car off by remote control. Unlike every street-legal car sold today, there is no adjusting of any parameters in real-time during a pass. Everything is set-up prior to a pass, based on current atmospheric and track conditions, and accumulated knowledge of what is thought to work best for the prevailing conditions.

If you're a fan of the sport, The Garlits museum is worth the trip.

Agree. Highly recommended for any car fan.

If you can schedule it, do the private tour. Even more worth it.

My wife took me there in 2022 after I graduated with my bachelors.

Back