Domestic white goods failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we lost our air cleaner/purifier a week or so back as some would have seen frm my other post but now we have oven and dishwasher failure (unrelated), what an expensive week. I've been unemployed for 12mths until 6 weeks back so really don't need this. We will invest in quality appliances as cheap ends up more expensive. Miele or ASKO for the dishwasher looks the go but oven and cook top could be anything. We must have upset somebody?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Well we lost our air cleaner/purifier a week or so back as some would have seen frm my other post but now we have oven and dishwasher failure (unrelated), what an expensive week. I've been unemployed for 12mths until 6 weeks back so really don't need this. We will invest in quality appliances as cheap ends up more expensive. Miele or ASKO for the dishwasher looks the go but oven and cook top could be anything. We must have upset somebody?
Like that saying "When it rains, it pours"

Sorry you got caught in a storm bud!
frown.gif

I will keep you in my prayers to help send you some better luck.
thumbsup2.gif

we had a fridge for sale but unfortunately that would have been no help, also seeing how far away you are no help either.

good luck. we have seemed to have excellent luck with simpson basic range and westinghouse. (TOUCH WOOD)

We must have upset somebody?
Sometimes, things are just broken. Maybe it's just a few little things that need to be replaced. I'm glad you found a new job sprintman.

Maybe you should call a repair man and get some help. It might still be cheaper than getting all new units. Hope that's the case for you.

Sorry again about your stuff.
frown.gif

Gavin

I have a Russian wife (born in Sydney). They say 'everything comes in threes' and they are absolutely correct. I think things should look up from here.

Sorry to hear about your employment situation (been there a number of times).

Also, I hate to be blunt, but air purifiers and dishwashers should be the least of your concerns during hard times.

sorry to hear that. have you considered a Bosch dishwasher? very quiet and they actually engineer the product instead of copying

If cash is tight either fix using used stuff or get a used stove. I ran my last electric stove for 10 yrs. I bought it used for 50$ and kept it going with burners harvested from the dump. My current dishwasher is a Craigslist freebie. Dunno what kind of brands you have in OZ, but Maytag and Kitchenaid have turned to rubbish here in the US.

Some of our appliances date back to the 70's. As long as I can find, or even make parts, I will keep them going. Apparently the bearing in the pump on our old Whirlpool washer went bad and melted a hole in the plastic housing. I took it off and went to the parts store. As I walked in with it, I noticed a lady dart over to the other side of the store. By the time I got back to the parts counter, she had a new one in her hand, less than $20.

Being able and willing to do a little work of your own makes for major savings. All the new digital controls makes it tougher and more expensive. One fall, the furnace wouldn't run. A $300 board fixed it. I did my best to check out the old board. The signal from the flame detector seemed to get lost in a circuit with several transistors. Beyond my abilities to find and fix.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I was buying a part for an old Maytag washer, and noticed the new machines were made in Ch...

I was hoping nobody got me started on Maytag. Since you did.....
My brother works at an electrical store that sells Maytag on the side. Against his wishes, we bought a Maytag washing machine just to keep the money local, so to speak. It failed beyond repair in under 5 years. We got an identical model from my grandma when she moved into a nursing home. It lasted less than a year before complete failure. Our Maytag side-by-side fridge is the biggest POS I've ever seen. Never again.
The Maytag name was purchased out a few years ago. If you buy a Maytag, buy it for the price, not for the name.

Meanwhile, my mom's Kenmore washer that she purchased in 1972 recently failed beyond repair. Because I'm from a big family, that machine probably ran at least one load of clothes a day while I was growing up. It weighed about twice as much as anything you can purchase today. It was heavy! Too bad they don't build them like that anymore.

Maytag was good but went sour a while back. Kitchenaid is well kmown for food processors here, are they still good?

KitchenAid is good for stand mixers. Magimix is the one to use for food processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back