Dollar Tree Drivers Choice motor oil

I see it’s rated SN GF-5. Anyone use this for an oil change? How’s the additive package looking? Would you use it without worries?

If you need oil desperately then this could work but with all the well known brands out there why take the chance?

There is nothing wrong with it, being an SN oil

$1 for 16 oz is $2/qt, not bad. Not the greatest price but still not bad. I wouldn't do a full oil change because I don't want to buy 10 half quart bottles, but it would be good for top-off use, or to use in a lawn mower or other OPE engines that don't use a full quart. I did an oil change in my lawn mower with a bottle of Dollar Tree oil, no problem at all :)

Probably made by Pemex since it's from Mexico.

It looks to be decent...but they sell it in a 16oz bottle?
Are you Kidding Me?

giphy.gif

Do you know how many cars take X and a Half quarts?
heck my last 3 cars, 2 took 4.5 qts, the other 5.5....

though honestly, anymore, I just throw in the extra pint. 5.5qts? 6 it is!

I used to save the extra pints in a jug until i had enough for a "frankenbrew" change, but now....
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I know you can successfully argue from a chemistry standpoint, that this stuff is supposedly, "just as good" as name brand oils with the same rating. But why would you choose it over Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Havoline, Valvoline, and literally dozens of other major brands that have proven their reputations over decades of use? Where is the upside, other than perhaps saving a few pennies, of using, "Dollar Tree" oil?

Especially when you're pouring it into a vehicle that costs tens of thousands of dollars.

I see it’s rated SN GF-5. Anyone use this for an oil change? How’s the additive package looking? Would you use it without worries?
I still drive a 99 Dodge that has spent most of it's life using an oil that didn't meet the GF5 spec. Oils have been very good for a long time. If I had some fancy new car that required a newer spec, then I wouldn't use it.

Bullwinkle, those folks driving the BMWs and Porsches that use this type of oil are the same ones I see daily at Sheetz stations filling up with non-Top Tier gas when there is an Exxon across the street selling Top Tier fuel at the same price.

there are alot of folks who can only afford a $99/mo leased nissan versa or kia rio for a new car with a warranty. they probably aren’t much “into” motor oil brands and aren’t likely to be diy types. if it’s not “free for life” from the dealer their oil change is whatever is on tap at any $20 quick lube. if they at least look at their dipstick once in awhile and need to top-off then a dollar ($1.25 now?) pint bottle of api sn kept in the trunk makes alot more financial sense than a $5 quart of oil from a 7-11.

PQIA analysis shows good to go, in spec, meeting certs, then it's good to go. $2 a quart off the DT shelf, seems fair. Compared to some/much of the crap PQIA finds at some convenience stores, no DT shoppers getting ripped off or engine damaged buying this at DT. That's how I see it.

The irony.... It meets API SN spec, it meets or passes PQIA's analysis but because it's from a dollar store, it's got a stigma or not good enough.

It's in a 16-oz bottle for one reason - to stay at their $1 price point.

If you were at home and after checking your oil and it showed low, and you had to go to the auto parts store to get some, I don't think you would buy this oil. But if you were on a road trip, and the wife is inside the store looking around so you check you oil and find it 1/2 qt low, I can see buying some to top it off while your right there. Another thing I don't get, is people that will drive out of their way to buy a particular brand of gas. If I was right in front of a no name gas station and the needle is past empty you can bet the farm, that's the gas I'm gonna buy. Gas isn't a long term purchase. In most cases the gas people buy is consumed that same day. I know the gas in my bike was never over a week old tops. In my car, a tank may last 3 weeks.,,

so anybody know the source of the refinery it's coming from??? I mean DT and China are like peanut butter and jelly....

A lack of moly is my only concern. Probably wouldn't be the best for a break-in oil or for use with a flat tappet cam. It would be a good trunk toss or for a hand oiler for door hinges and whatnot.

Thank you all. Was considering it for my newly acquired 2001 GMC Sierra v8 with 194k on the odometer. Will probably get the SuperTech dino

Back