Doing yard work in this "heat wave"

Yeah I usually do it after sunset. We had a crazy day ahead of us so I just grabbed the mower and went to town:D
Well, as someone beat to heck with skin cancer … I know there are other reasons to do early morning and late evening yard work if nothing is about to fall on the roof …

I started cutting the grass at 7am yesterday. Then I came inside and waited until 6pm when the yard was completely shaded to do the weedeating, edging, and trimming.

Reactions: 4WD
It has been hot and humid in AL
I push cut front yard yesterday and was fully wet when finished
Took a dip in the pool to cool off but it was warm and not really refreshing.

I started cutting the grass at 7am yesterday. Then I came inside and waited until 6pm when the yard was completely shaded to do the weedeating, edging, and trimming.
I tried early mornings sometime ago-- still too much condensate on the grass. Plus my sprinklers kick in on random days starting at 4 am. Neighbor's kick in in the late evening-night and may flood part of my yard, so I have to wait till evening until the grass dries up some anyway...

This time of the year Florida is super humid.

Some days there is a breeze and I try and cut the grass on those days so it’s not as bad.

I also wait till 6 PM in the evening so it’s not as hot.
I actually just bought "personal AC" and tested it out last night while mowing grass. Not bad, it does help to cool you down some and you sweat less.
Looks like headphones, it goes on your neck. Has 2 impellers inside, a Li-ion battery (I think 18650) and blows air on your face and some on the back of your head.

I tried early mornings sometime ago-- still too much condensate on the grass. Plus my sprinklers kick in on random days starting at 4 am. Neighbor's kick in in the late evening-night and may flood part of my yard, so I have to wait till evening until the grass dries up some anyway...

I use Oregon gator blades and mulch it. It does clump a bit when still wet, but I'd rather deal with that than deal with the heat later.

Wet grass = major clumping and not a good even cut for me. I have an electric mower with 2 batteries.

Wet grass = major clumping and not a good even cut for me. I have an electric mower with 2 batteries.
Same here -ryobi that takes 2 18v batteries. Takes me 6 - 4ah batteries to do whole lawn after all those constant rains. Grass grows superfast and bermuda lawn is very thick…

We’re finally getting heavy rain which is pounding down the fires and cooling things down. The mountain fire by my place is finally out after burning 5,000 acres in a month. Now my wife expects me to get something done!

OK, you guys want to talk about hot. Have any of you ever worked on top of an outdoor coke-oven in August?

Back in the 70's I worked my way through college by working in the J&L Pittsburgh Steel mill during the summers. Talk about hot. in the coke ovens, you worked one hour on in the heat, and one hour off to recover. I kept bandannas that were folded and wet and put in sandwich bags in the freezer of the lunch room refrigerator, and would crack one open and wrap it around my forehead at the beginning of each one hour breaks. You had to eat a big sandwich with a drink at the beginning of each break to keep your strength up. And then close your eyes and rest for the remainder of the break so you were ready to last through the next hour of work. It was sooooooo hot on top of the coke ovens that everyone who worked there had to wear huge thick wood sandals under there steel-tow leather work boots so the sole of there boots would not melt off. Without the wood sandals the sole of a work boot would be destroyed in less than 15 minutes. The buckets of mud used to seal the lids of the coke ovens would slow bubble because the water in the mud was slowly boiling off if you left a bucket sitting on the brick top of the coke oven that you had to walk on to do your job. And EVERYONE who worked there wore there flame retardant light green long pants and long sleeve shirts to protect them from the radiant heat when they worked next to an open oven door. And EVERYONE who worked there wore white ( actually dirty white ) cotton long under-where next to there skin, under the flame retardant clothes. After a few minutes on the job the long under-where would be soaked with sweat and for the rest of the hour on, the sweat evaporating in the wet cotton next to your skin helped keep you a little cooled off. And the long under-where also added an extra layer of protection from radiant heat.

On real hot days the bosses would pass out free gummy candy that was coated with salt so the men would not become too depleted of salt. And sometimes someone would faint. One time a man fainted and one of the two men holding him up and walking beside him on the way to the nurses office fainted on the way there.

Now that was hot.

Last edited:
OK, you guys want to talk about hot. Have any of you ever worked on top of an outdoor coke-oven in August?

Back in the 70's I worked my way through college by working in the J&L Pittsburgh Steel mill during the summers. Talk about hot. in the coke ovens, you worked one hour on in the heat, and one hour off to recover. I kept bandannas that were folded and wet and put in sandwich bags in the freezer of the lunch room refrigerator, and would crack one open and wrap it around my forehead at the beginning of each one hour breaks. You had to eat a big sandwich with a drink at the beginning of each break to keep your strength up. And then close your eyes and rest for the remainder of the break so you were ready to last through the next hour of work. It was sooooooo hot on top of the coke ovens that everyone who worked there had to wear huge thick wood sandals under there steel-tow leather work boots so the sole of there boots would not melt off. Without the wood sandals the sole of a work boot would be destroyed in less than 15 minutes. The buckets of mud used to seal the lids of the coke ovens would slow bubble because the water in the mud was slowly boiling off if you left a bucket sitting on the brick top of the coke oven that you had to walk on to do your job. And EVERYONE who worked there wore there flame retardant light green long pants and long sleeve shirts to protect them from the radiant heat when they worked next to an open oven door. And EVERYONE who worked there wore white ( actually dirty white ) cotton long under-where next to there skin, under the flame retardant clothes. After a few minutes on the job the long under-where would be soaked with sweat and for the rest of the hour on, the sweat evaporating in the wet cotton next to your skin helped keep you a little cooled off. And the long under-where also added an extra layer of protection from radiant heat.

On real hot days the bosses would pass out free gummy candy that was coated with salt so the men would not become too depleted of salt. And sometimes someone would faint. One time a man fainted and one of the two men holding him up and walking beside him on the way to the nurses office fainted on the way there.

Now that was hot.

You mentioned this in another thread.

Hats off to you for working such a hellacious job and not being a wimp. 👍

Last edited:
Back