doing UOA on German Syntec this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought id let everyone know that its gonna be done this weekend and then sent off to be analysed. THe oil will have (car's at dealer right now so cant remember exact mileage) around 4,000-4,500 miles on it. Wanted to go 6K but, got the only chance ill have to change it for a while and well see how it does in a 2L mazda engine!

Car: 2002 Mazda Protege5
2 litre 4 cylinder engine
130hp
driven fairly hard and shift point for normal driving is 4K rpms and 5500rpms for spirited. Redline is 6500rpms.
Oil: German made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 w/ PureOne filter.

Question is, who should I use? BLackstone? I dont like having to pay an additional $10 for a TBN. Any suggestions? Thanx, chris j.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Jefferson:
Question is, who should I use? BLackstone? I dont like having to pay an additional $10 for a TBN. Any suggestions? Thanx, chris j.

Well, my Blackstone VOA is the only VOA we've got of this oil, so for the best "before/after" comparison, Blackstone would be the one to use.

I've just sent in another virgin sample which Blackstone is going to retest for TBN using their new method. And they are nice enough to do this for free.
smile.gif

I'm going to finally take the sample of my sister's oil tomorrow at lunch time. I'm going to drive to her work to get her car, drive it home to change the oil, and then drive it back to her work. It'll take me probably 3 hours total, but I'm dying to finally see the results! My lab is very quick, so we should have results by Tuesday night.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm going to finally take the sample of my sister's oil tomorrow at lunch time. I'm going to drive to her work to get her car, drive it home to change the oil, and then drive it back to her work. It'll take me probably 3 hours total, but I'm dying to finally see the results! My lab is very quick, so we should have results by Tuesday night.

now that is dedication !, we've got to give this guy an award for his efforts. Patman is Da Man !.

canada.gif

Joey

The sample has been taken! I drove the 66 mile round trip to my sister's work this afternoon, and took the sample. To speed up the process, I took the sample directly to the lab! So it'll get done a day quicker than if I had mailed it. The lab is only 8 miles from my house. So we'll most likely see results by Monday night now. She put 5500 miles on the oil (since March 23rd)

Instead of making the trek back to her work now (which would take me much longer now that rush hour is approaching) she'll drive my car back to my house tonight. So the whole process still took me almost 3 hours since I first left the house, but it included the trip to the lab (which I did while her oil was draining anyways-I used my wife's car for that journey-and her 2300 mile sample of Royal Purple will be taken in the next few days by the way)

Boy, the suspense is just killing me!
gr_eek2.gif

Patman: thank you for your efforts. You are definitely Da Man!
worshippy.gif

Chris Jefferson: please use Blackstone, if you can. VOA that we already have will you and us to see a more accurate picture.

If these look good, I will probably run mine to at least 8000 miles.

I don't think the sample will be finished in time today. The lab closes at 4:30pm EST, which is right now, and from checking online I see that all the tests have been done to the sample except for the viscosity at 40c. I specifically ask to get that done each time, so perhaps if I hadn't asked for it, the UOA would be ready.
frown.gif
Although that is an important piece of data also.

At least we know it'll be ready by Monday night for sure now. It's still a super quick turnaround time, when you realize I just dropped off the sample there yesterday afternoon!

I didn't get to tour the lab, nobody was at reception when I got there. I'll definitely make arrangements to tour the lab in a few weeks. Two of the people I've been in contact with weren't there anyways, and I'd like to meet them when I do take the tour.

[ July 04, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Just want you all to know how fortunate you are to find this stuff...checked at four Autozones, one Pep Boys, two Advance auto and two Wal-Marts in Colorado Springs no luck...
frown.gif
The closest I got was red label, US Made, mixed components (hidden w a y back behind was the yellow label stuff...hope to find soon.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Just want you all to know how fortunate you are to find this stuff...checked at four Autozones, one Pep Boys, two Advance auto and two Wal-Marts in Colorado Springs no luck...
frown.gif
The closest I got was red label, US Made, mixed components (hidden w a y back behind was the yellow label stuff...hope to find soon.

Did the BACK of the red label US made 0w30 look just like the label below (same specs, wording, etc) except it said Made in USA?

-

G,

Have to admit to having been terribly myopic
shocked.gif
when I looked at the label, focusing on trying to find the "Made In Germany" wording. My recollection' however, is that it had none of the European specs as listed on the German import but went pretty much according to the "standard" Castrol label info. Hope this helps.

I emailed the lab this morning and asked if they could do me a favor and try and rush this sample through by the end of the day, so they are going to try and see what they can do, but they said they have reduced staff right now for summer holidays. If it's not done today they said it'll be done Monday for sure.

I checked online and see that the visual screening portion of the test is already done, so the sample is in progress as we speak.

I also took a 2400 mile sample of the Royal Purple in my wife's car this morning, and will drop that off at the lab this afternoon. I'm hoping to get a tour of the lab while I'm there too (maybe that will help me get the samples done even quicker!)

By the way, I didn't drain her Royal Purple yet, I am continuing on to 5000 miles before I drain it. As I mentioned before, I plan on continuing my Royal Purple testing, with the help of David Canitz, a technical rep from Royal Purple.

G-Man,

Went back to Autozone today...I hope I hope I hope...no they didn't have the German SLX version. I checked the label on the mixed components red label...my recollection was correct...no specs like the German version at all...just some vanilla statements.

Sorry guys, it's my own fault that it's not done today. Remember how I mentioned I could check online to see the status of the tests? Well on Friday night I noticed all that was left to do was the viscosity at 40c, but I also noticed they didn't have the fuel dilution listed on the list either, so I added it to the list (with Webcheck, I can add the tests from my computer that I want added if they've forgotten them)

Well, you guessed it, the 40c viscosity test has been done, but they still need to do the fuel dilution test now! I guess that the fuel tests must be done at a different time, or by a different person, which is why the sample is not done yet. I've noticed this in the past with my other samples, that often the fuel portion of the testing is the very last one that is holding up the final finishing of it.

So hopefully it will be done tomorrow.

Perhaps when they put the rush on the sample for me, that's why they left out the fuel dilution, as they realized it would take them an extra day for this test. But as impatient as I might be, I want to have every test done on it, that way if the viscosity thins out, I'll see if it was contaminated with fuel or not.

I was definitely disappointed when I got home though, first thing I did after kissing my wife and son hello was run up here to check online for my results.

Patman,

quote:

I was definitely disappointed when I got home though, first thing I did after kissing my wife and son hello was run up here to check online for my results.

Glad to hear you have your priorities straight (kissed your wife and son first)
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Scott_in_WI:
Patman,

quote:

Glad to hear you have your priorities straight (kissed your wife and son first)
grin.gif

That's only cuz I had to go past them on the stairs to get to my computer!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back