Doing away with 89 octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coastal gas company has done away with 89 octane.
Just regular and Premium here in north Jersey..
A friend who works at a Texaco station says he's heard that 89 might be going away.
Anybody else heard any rumors?

It makes sense. I don't know many cars that specify 89 octane. It's either 87 or 91/93. Our Costco only has 87 and 93. I'm guessing 89 is for cars that start pinging as they get older. If somebody really needs 89, they can make their own blend.

A few quick stops around here have also done away with 89 oct. I thought it odd, but perhaps it is due to it being the lowest selling grade. Honestly, I haven't a clue.

My car recommends 91 oct. min. During the warmer months when I'm likely to tow, I use 93 oct., and during the winter, I alternate fill-ups (only add 10 gal. to simplify mileage calc.) when l'm down to about 6 gallons in the tank (guage marker, also used for fuel mileage trip point), between 89 and 93. A slight cut in costs, and perhaps some gain in mileage potential since I'm light on the peddle. Again, it's more of a hunch and penny pinching measure. Us analytical types!

I too am interested in what others have to say.

BTW, my '95 volvo 850 wagon with non-t 2.4l averages around 21-23 mpg, mostly short city trips, occassional highway and joy rides. 92K on the clock, purchased used with 65K. Been using m1 5/10w-30, tried m1 0w-40, rotella t 5w-40...soon to try GC 0w-30.
smile.gif

Around Detroit they have 87, 89, and 93. Often the price increment is the same from 87 to 89 as from 89 to 93, so if you instead mix 50/50 87 with 93 you pay the same price and get about 90 octane. A lot of hassle, but maybe worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Around Detroit they have 87, 89, and 93. Often the price increment is the same from 87 to 89 as from 89 to 93, so if you instead mix 50/50 87 with 93 you pay the same price and get about 90 octane. A lot of hassle, but maybe worth it.

TallPaul from the Expedition forum?

must be a local thing, Coastal has opend a series of new stations here in Houston and they have all 3 grades last I looked. Would seem silly to pay for 4x grade/type pumps when you know 1 is going away this soon.

Back in 2000, some of the newer Citgo stations in Northwest PA (Country Fair) had 87,88,89, and 93 Octane.

Anyone else remember the days of the Sunoco Dial pumps with 86,87,89,93, and 94 Octane?

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

Anyone else remember the days of the Sunoco Dial pumps with 86,87,89,93, and 94 Octane?

That goes waaaayyyyy back.
I remember Sunoco with the dial.
Always wondered if that was a ripoff.
grin.gif

quote:

I remembering filling my 68 SS/RS Camero with the last tank of Sunoco 260 in the summer of 1980. They dropped the 260 and only had 240 after that. I believe it was 98 octane at the time. I sold my car that summer too. Bummer. I wish I had kept it.

Here in NY, about a year ago sunoco phased out the 94 octane.

We still have a couple places around here that carry 104 octane fuel, but its like 4 bucks a gallon, so its not worth it.

JH

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
It makes sense. I don't know many cars that specify 89 octane. It's either 87 or 91/93. Our Costco only has 87 and 93. I'm guessing 89 is for cars that start pinging as they get older. If somebody really needs 89, they can make their own blend.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica with the 3.5L V6 requires midgrade, so does the Hemi Ram, 300C, 300 with 3.5L V6, some of the 3.5L V6 Chryslers (some of the older 300Ms require premium, some require mid). My father puts premium in the Pacifica anyway.

quote:

Anyone else remember the days of the Sunoco Dial pumps with 86,87,89,93, and 94 Octane? [/QB]

I am so old I remember when Sunoco was dyed blue. And a long, long, long time ago, when I was only a little larvae sitting in the back seat, there was only one grade of Sunoco gasoline. I think it was a mid-grade.

And around 1970, Getty sold only premium.

My local Sunoco still blends in the pump, albeit push button style.

I think the evolution of the two grade gas station is one of practicality I still see stations have three tanks ..and tankers three compartments. I would imagine that the demand for regular is so high and mid grade so low in comparison, that the product just isn't worth the dwell time in the tank based on the $1/gallon costs involved and how many fewer wasted miles in deliveries if the two grade system is used.

You just don't turn the product over fast enough.

In our region, it's cheaper and yields higher octane to do a 50/50 mix. The spread here is about $0.14-$0.18 ..but the jump to 89 takes the brunt of the increase, typically $0.10-$0.12

If I gained anything from mid grade ..I guess I would just fill up at 1/2 tank and alternate. The octane would vary ..but the costs would be less.

quote:

Last time I filled up with gas on the Ohio Turnpike about 2 years ago, the Sunoco station gas pumps had push buttons for all of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back