Does your employer appreciate your dedication ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes; most definitely--and it is one of the main reasons I left a role I had for 24 years to move. Unlike most businesses, my "bottom line" has a heart beat and so we have a different mission versus chasing a dollar. With that said, we all go above and beyond for the mission and do not mind doing so...

None where I am at. The more you work the more they expect as salary employee they get OT for free too. And when you get your work done do the slackers work too. And hold you accountable for others lack of getting the job done. Difficult to understand sometimes.

Absolutely. I am blessed to be employed by a company who values their employees and shows it.
Not only in the paycheck, but the way I am treated every day.

Depends on the circumstances and which manager. Plenty of them are very friendly, very sweet. However, rarely ever get any positive feedback and constructive input. However, let myself or another good employee slip up in any kind of way and it's meetings with managers and administrators.
The bad employees that just show up, do the least they can get away with doing, and constantly have problems with visitors/customerrs? They just keep coming back year after year. They make their own schedules, their own rules. It's almost like management fears them.

I tend to consider myself a good worker and an efficient worker. I don't necessarily go all the way above and beyond, I don't stay hours late doing extra work (that also means I don't milk the time clock like many others do) But I do my job and I think I do it well.

This mostly applies to my former workplace as I have only been on this new job a couple of months and have not yet been able to form any good opinions. I have heard plenty of gossip, but in this industry as in the world I am learning to go off of my own experiences and interpretations.

If you get bonuses or real perks then they appreciate you.

I have been self employed contractor and given record of working 17 of 18 years full time I think my clients must appreciate something I do.

The silliest thing I have implemented recently was electronic feedback. Really you get an e thanks on some company feed. Really? Reminds of the days of getting electronic versions of paper cards via email.

Yeah, they appreciate you when you're in a coffin and perform rituals with people in uniform and ceremonial flags etc. That's been my experience for thirty years. Of course; it's a lie! It's for moral and the public. The corpse knows nothing.

Then they build statues and name square building after you. I say this with respect for those Resting In Peace!

Veni,vidi,vici!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: PR1955
Absolutely. I am blessed to be employed by a company who values their employees and shows it.
Not only in the paycheck, but the way I am treated every day.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Not to sound like ZZ Man,

Does your employer appreciate your hard work, dedication and effort ?

Why or why not ?

I reject your question on the grounds it assumes I work hard, am dedicated, and put in effort. It leaves no room for those of us that slack off, could care less, and only put in the bare minimum of effort to not get fired.

Yes and No. My immediate supervisor does. He is in the same boat I am in, we are not valued by the company, nor are very many others. The companies attitude has resulted in higher turnover than they would like. We also cannot recruit talented people with our benefits package which has been cut over the years and is sub par for our field.

The people that stay at our company are ignorant and/or lazy and couldn't cut it anywhere else in our field, or there are people too close to retirement to consider leaving, and then there's the ones who are tied to location due to family obligations.

Honestly if I was fired today it would be a relief because then I would be forced to act and move on and in the end I honestly believe that's what I need to do.

I doubt I would get fired though, There are critical things at our place of business that only my boss and myself know how to do. My counterpart has been in this position longer than I have but he is too lazy and ignorant to learn what he should already know. Of course they will never get rid of him even though they should.

I do not think I am Gods gift to the company, however I am a hard worker, Motivated to preform and to learn, and given the right leadership I can flourish. The management is part of the problem, the other part is I have a partner I work 8 hours a day with that is lazy and unmotivated and just does not have the ability to do the job. Its like I have an anchor tied to me all day.

I have been in this position so long I am starting to show signs of apathy, which I hate.

Our current general manager only has 3 years to go until retirement and hes just trying to get to that point. He is a nice person, but allows the toxic employees to continue on and under perform. Certain people drag the whole place down.

My Boss and I were a few of the people there that were hired for our abilities and what we know, the majority were hired because of who they know.

Last edited:
None of my jobs have appreciated me nor anyone.

And as someone who has studied motivation theories in my graduate studies, pay is never the leading factor in employee happiness. Recognition, appreciation and a feeling of doing something worthwhile always score higher.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Not to sound like ZZ Man,

Does your employer appreciate your hard work, dedication and effort ?

Why or why not ?

Hey now!....

And yes they do.

Aside from complaints about my once-in-a-while screw-ups, the company barely acknowledges my existence. All they really want is for me and my co-workers to bail them out of the holes they continually dig for themselves with no appreciation whatsoever...and no reward of any kind for going out of our way. We get no paid holidays...have been on a 25% cut in hours for the last 5 years with no hope of ever getting them back...and only a small amount of PTO which is hard to use as "vacation" because if 2 employees take more than 2 days off at the same time their holier-than-thou deadlines are in jeopardy. Being able to work from home is the only bright spot in this picture. I don't know what I'd do if I suddenly had to go back to the office.

No.
In fact, our Bosses can't tell a good tech from a bad one.

They seem to favor the ones that make them feel all tingly inside over the competent ones.

Last edited:
On the local level absolutely. I hear it often and especially when I get back from taking a day off. They joke I am like an encyclopedia with random car knowledge, BITOG helps sometimes with the random cars that we see. I also tend to be fairly organized with my paperwork for parts orders so I can track things down fairly fast for people.

It has been pretty frustrating the last 2 weeks though. The guy I worked back counter (helping techs in the shop) with for 5 years put in his 2 week notice. So I am left to cover a fairly busy shop including 15 techs, 3 service writers, a service manager, and sales department. Plus doing a bunch of the wholesale and phone sales. We have a front counter girl who means well but is due to give birth in a few weeks and she seems more interested in watching Instagram and Facebook videos or watching her dog on her nanny cam.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent

+1

My employer doesn't know employees exist until someone says the "u" word lol.

Yes and no.
They value the expertise that I bring to the task but they rarely acknowledge it.
Part of that is my having a very insecure boss who cannot acknowledge my support and part of it is just the nature of the organization as currently constituted.
No worries for me, since I am but three years and three months from a fat defined benefit pension and can leave tomorrow at a reduced benefit if I'd like.
There is nobody I'm aware of who can replace me, but operations will continue and all of the screw-ups will be blamed on the then gone me.
Have seen this many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back