Does your AC work harder when you drive faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the AC Compressor is driven by the engine via the serpentine belt--does it follow that it works HARDER (however that's defined) when the engine flywheel spins faster?

I suspect the answer is NO because it probably has some kind of self-regulating mechanism or whatever.

Just curious.

I think the faster the compressor run the more work is being performed up to the maximum compressor capacity. . Variable displacement AC compressor? The compressor speed is tied directly to engine speed. On some types of units ther is a variable valve that contolls the amount of freon circulating if that is what you mean by variable displacement.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Variable displacement AC compressor? The compressor speed is tied directly to engine speed.

They exist, they vary the swash plate angle to vary the piston stroke. I think they are long ways from universal on the market but I haven't been paying much attention to AC the past few years.

I remember thinking over 30 years ago that they should use variable angle swash plates, but fuel economy wasn't as important then.

AC compresssors work better at mid speeds than idle.
They like to be turning at a decent rate.
This is how you check and fill them.
The AC on most cars cycles, nowadays. This cycling should offset any high speed losses, to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back