Does Vizio E420VL tv have "Audio Return Channel"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to connect my new stereo and the stereo manual asks if tv has "Audio Return Channel" tv is a Vizio E420VL like this; CNET

Last edited:
usually the hdmi port will be labled arc if it is.

otherwise you would need to connect an optical toslink cable if you want to send sound from the tv to the reciever. if you have everything hooked up to the reciever anyways it wouldnt matter

From the manual I would tentatively say no to ARC

you will need to use the optical out with a toslink cable.

It doesn't and ARC sucks anyway, I would recommend using the optical output.

It's their budget series, and it's sold at Costco, which often means a model stripped of some features that Costco hopes you won't notice are missing. Based on that, plus no mention in the documentation, I'd say the chances are slim.

Originally Posted By: Rand

That's assuming his stereo has such an input.

If it's just a basic stereo receiver, he can just use analog L/R RCA cable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Rand

That's assuming his stereo has such an input.

If it's just a basic stereo receiver, he can just use analog L/R RCA cable.
i think it does. It's an onkyo TX- SR353

Originally Posted By: daves66nova

This is an HDMI home theater receiver, so why not do it the correct way and connect all your components directly to the receiver first and then send video output to your TV?

Some years back, due to some silly copyright protection issue, the TVs would down-convert surround sound into plain 2-channel audio before sending it out via their optical output. That's why you don't want to get your audio from the TV. You want to get it directly from the source. Not sure if it's still like this today...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This is an HDMI home theater receiver, so why not do it the correct way and connect all your components directly to the receiver first and then send video output to your TV?

Some years back, due to some silly copyright protection issue, the TVs would down-convert surround sound into plain 2-channel audio before sending it out via their optical output. That's why you don't want to get your audio from the TV. You want to get it directly from the source. Not sure if it's still like this today...

This^

Your TV is just a display device in a home theater.

Your A/V receiver takes all the various input devices, DVR, BlueRay, game console. Sends sound to the speakers and sends video to the TV.

No need for ARC if you are setting this up correctly.

So I should just run as many HDMI cables that I can?

Yes, but run them from each source to the receiver. And then a single HDMI cable from receiver to the TV.

So I should just run as many HDMI cables that I can?

Should be the same number of cables if you run everything into the TV and then the TV into the A/V rcvr or if you run every device to the A/V rcvr and then one from the rcvr to the TV.

If you have three devices and a TV, you need four HDMI cables.

I.E. if you have N devices and a TV, you need N+1 HDMI cables.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
daves66nova said:
I.E. if you have N devices and a TV, you need N+1 HDMI cables.
N devices? I don't think I've heard of this.

Algebra, where N is some arbitrary number....

Didn't you see the example right above that? Should be pretty obvious that N was three in the example provided.

Your value for N may or may not be three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back