Does this mean what I think it does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quicky lube place in the area has 4 55 gal drums of oil. One reads 5w-30, one reads 10w-30 and two have a stensil that reads '30WHDEO". Does that last label mean what I think it does? When was the last time a manufacturer in the US or Canada specified 30W engine oil, maybe 50 years ago?

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
A quicky lube place in the area has 4 55 gal drums of oil. One reads 5w-30, one reads 10w-30 and two have a stensil that reads '30WHDEO". Does that last label mean what I think it does? When was the last time a manufacturer in the US or Canada specified 30W engine oil, maybe 50 years ago?

I'm driving a '94 Blazer right now. The owners manual allows for using straight 30W oil, over a certain temperature range. If the HDEO at the quickie lube carries an API SH or higher gasoline-engine rating, it could be used in the Blazer.

My mechanic has a 200-gallon tank that says "Citgo 10W-40" on it..but Citgo fills it with 5W-30 (from a tanker truck, apparently).

I wonder if it's the same story with these drums?

Chevy recomended 30w just a few years back in their diesels. It was even printed on the cap.

-T

well, oil burners=diesels
grin.gif

Actually this was my first response to the topic:

quote:

Does this mean what I think it does?

(visions of Bill Murray in Ghostbusters after Akaroid calls the EPA pencil neck ickless and the Mayor "Lennie" ask .."Is this true?")

Yes. They sell oil.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back