Does this mean what I think it does?

A quicky lube place in the area has 4 55 gal drums of oil. One reads 5w-30, one reads 10w-30 and two have a stensil that reads '30WHDEO". Does that last label mean what I think it does? When was the last time a manufacturer in the US or Canada specified 30W engine oil, maybe 50 years ago?

quote:
Originally posted by LarryL: A quicky lube place in the area has 4 55 gal drums of oil. One reads 5w-30, one reads 10w-30 and two have a stensil that reads '30WHDEO". Does that last label mean what I think it does? When was the last time a manufacturer in the US or Canada specified 30W engine oil, maybe 50 years ago?
I'm driving a '94 Blazer right now. The owners manual allows for using straight 30W oil, over a certain temperature range. If the HDEO at the quickie lube carries an API SH or higher gasoline-engine rating, it could be used in the Blazer.

My mechanic has a 200-gallon tank that says "Citgo 10W-40" on it..but Citgo fills it with 5W-30 (from a tanker truck, apparently). I wonder if it's the same story with these drums?

well, oil burners=diesels [Big Grin] Actually this was my first response to the topic:
quote:
Does this mean what I think it does?
(visions of Bill Murray in Ghostbusters after Akaroid calls the EPA pencil neck ickless and the Mayor "Lennie" ask .."Is this true?") Yes. They sell oil. [Big Grin]